Need some help from the Mathews guys.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need some help from the Mathews guys.

I may have the chance to buy a used Mathews bow over Thanksgiving. It's one of those wife's uncles, sons, wifes, cousins kind of family deals. I don't know much about it, except that it's a "pretty nice Mathews, top of the line when I got it" deals. I don't know, it may be a string with a stick and Mathews written in sharpie on it.

Anyway, I was hoping some of the Mathews crowd could tell me good vs. bad to look for, the things I need to be aware of, etc. I've never shot or even held a Mathews bow.

Also, I plan on having the local archery shop give it a going over, re-string and tune. Any string suggestions? If I can pick this bow up for the amount that's been thrown around, money won't be an issue.

Thanks in advance.

If the draw length does not fit you , then it really is not worth anything to you. That is the first and foremost thing. Also, how has this bow deen treated. There will be now warranty transfered with this sale and if you happen to buy it and draw it back and the limbs splinter, then you are going to have to buy new limbs. This is true with most bows. Mathews has always made good bows, but there ae a lot of questions to be answered about the bow. If you have never shot a Mathews, you may not like the way they feel in your hand and if you don't you will not like shooting it much.

Comment

Everything Mudslinger said, but I would add, that Mathews have a good resale rate, and worse case, you could get your money back if you didnt feel like messing with it.

More information, such as the model would help offer opinions.

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I really don't know much about this bow other than the owner is an older member of extended family that has been sick for a few years and expressed an interest in getting rid of it. I do know that up until a few years ago he was a very very avid hunter.
        I'm hoping to know the model of it within the next few days, one of those I'll check on it and let ya know deals. But with these members of the family, who knows how long that will be.
        Is the draw length on a Mathews bow not adjustable? (Mods?) I had already thought about the draw length issue but figured I could just buy some new mods. Like I said, if I can buy this for the price that has been discussed, I really won't mind throwing down a few more bucks to make it shootable.
        I really don't need this bow, I have a Bowtech 82nd that is practically new and I love. I just thought if I could pick this deal up cheap it might be fun to have another bow to shoot.

Comment

If your draw length doesn't match up, then it'll need to have the cam or cams swapped out...this is why Mathews are pretty much made to order...a pro shop will charge you for the labor of doin' the swap and maybe the cam itself...splintered or cracked limbs are worthless but if he used to hunt with, maybe alls it's got is some dings and scuffs...who knows...maybe it's a not too old a bow and parts are readily available...juss have to wait an find out what model it is before you jump into an unknown bow...

Comment

Give you an idea of new limbs and top wheel on a Mathews Outback--I just dropped $265 getting that done to mine after I dropped it.

Comment

Never even shot a bow before buying a used Mathews Switchback XT 2 1/2 months ago. I got lots of advice and made sure of draw length beforehand.
              I couldn't be happier with my purchase. Fantastic bow. So far, I've killed a nice 8 pt, three hogs, and an armadillo.

Comment

Originally posted by jesterdoc View Post
                Thanks for the replies. I really don't know much about this bow other than the owner is an older member of extended family that has been sick for a few years and expressed an interest in getting rid of it. I do know that up until a few years ago he was a very very avid hunter.
                I'm hoping to know the model of it within the next few days, one of those I'll check on it and let ya know deals. But with these members of the family, who knows how long that will be.
                Is the draw length on a Mathews bow not adjustable? (Mods?) I had already thought about the draw length issue but figured I could just buy some new mods. Like I said, if I can buy this for the price that has been discussed, I really won't mind throwing down a few more bucks to make it shootable.
                I really don't need this bow, I have a Bowtech 82nd that is practically new and I love. I just thought if I could pick this deal up cheap it might be fun to have another bow to shoot.
                If you have to change the DL then you have to change the lower cam on a Mathews, about $80 and the pro shop fee, unless you have a good friend to change it out and you take a chance on ebay then it is about $50+/-. Like someone else said before Mathews has a pretty good resale value so if you get it cheep enough (with all equipment included) then you are probably making a pretty good deal. You will probably like the way it shoots, I really like mine (S2) and will probably buy one of the new Z7's for 3D and Hunting. Good luck.

Comment

Working...
                X