New to Bowhunting - A few Q's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New to Bowhunting - A few Q's

Hey ya'll. This is my first season bowhunting, and I'm pretty much hooked. I took my first this year on a crossbow, and my second on a borrowed Mathews compound. The compound was quite a bit different than I expected, but my buddy I borrowed it from was saying it can be quite difficult to shoot a bow not set up for you effectively.

All that aside, I'm looking to get my own bow. Everyone I talk to says Mathews is the way to go, and I've found quite a few at good prices used. Is it recommended to go that route? Or is a new bow really necessary?

I'm also looking for a good place to hunt. The place I'm currently going we're only allowed to take does, due to the owner wanting the bucks to stick around for scenery. I'd love to take a buck. What are the regulations on hunting in national forests? I'm in Conroe, and the Sam Houston National Forest is literally 15 minutes away.

Thanks for your help!

Go to Pro shops and try as many different bows as you can. Let the bow pick you !

Comment

Check out the Mission Bows. Mission is made by Mathews and are priced about half. I bought the Eliminator II which specs are similar to the DXT. Total setup out the door was less than $800.00.

Comment

A new bow isn't a necessity, but I feel like as a new archer you (and I since i'm new as well) will bennifit from being setup properly. Unless you know the seller, or are buying a used bow from a bowshop you don't really know what your getting. but as JBS said, shoot every bow you touch to make sure it feels right in your hands.

Comment

Originally posted by JBS View Post
          Go to Pro shops and try as many different bows as you can. Let the bow pick you !

X 2.............

Comment

Listen to the ones that are telling you to let the bow pick you. If you don't, there is a good likelyhood that it may not fit you and you will end up putting the bow down and not shooting again. Besides, no warranty on second owner on most bows and if you have a limb break or problems, where you going to turn. Very important to get properly fit and to get the accesories fit to you and the bow.

Comment

Go shoot as many as you can before you buy. There are lots of good ones from the top companies. See what they sell for on ebay before you buy one, some hold value others do not!

Comment

My first bow was $75 on ebay. Second bow $150 on ebay. Third was a lightly used
                Bowtech (on ebay) for $400 with all the goodies.

I upgraded the rest and the sights- but to be honest, my $100 Truglow sights are not better functionally that the $15 I bought at academy. Same with the rest.

I get arrows custom made for about $70 per dozen (internet). Gold tip 5575, cut, fletched with blazer vanes, nocked and set with field tips, my choice of color.

Comment

whatever and however you go about picking out a bow make sure that you know what your draw length is.
                  Opinions on which bow is the best is like which truck make is the best.
                  Buy the best that you can afford, buy quality gear and it should not fail you.
                  Archery is all about being consistant.
                  I get gold tip arrows off ebay.
                  I learned how to fletch my arrows, tune my bow, tie in peep sights and servings.
                  Information is everywhere on the internet as are good prices on quality gear.

Comment

Go to a shop that has different bows. Don't buy into the "my friend says I should buy....." When one of the bows feels good in your hand you will shoot better than one that doesn't. That is different than draw length fit. I can have two bows from different companies and both have the same specs and fit me well, but one just gives me a better feel, and I will shoot better with it.

Comment

First find out ur draw length. And see what bows look good to you as fas as cams, riser. Every bow looks different. I wouldn't buy a bow u don't like the way it looks. Once you find out what bow u like shoot it at bow shop and see how you like the way it shoots. Sometimes you will find good deals praticly new bows for sale on here.

Comment

My take

I'm a newbie too. Went to a bow shop and found a Bear Truth 1. I really like the bow so far. I'm shooting tight groups out to 40 yards. Total setup was $350. I liked the Truth because of the narrow grip. Try em out and ask the shop to set it up to your draw length. Most bows are very simple to adjust draw length.

Comment

Working...
                        X