tuning a crossbow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

tuning a crossbow

Friend of mine bought a barnett crossbow and can't get it to shoot right. The arrow is kicking side to side. How do you tune a crossbow? I've never dealt with one.

I do not have a crossbow nor have I shot one very often. However, my nephew has had several and he told me you have to make sure you center the string when cocking it or you can get this from your arrow. He uses a cocking aid to make sure he gets the string up correctly. He says bolts for the crossbow has to be right just like a compound.

What can you so to a Xbow to quiet them down???

Comment

I didn't mention the retainer, it has to be straight not twisted at all. Need only enough tension to hold the bolt. Also check tiller if this is uneven it will cause erratic flight as well. Just wish they weren't so loud. You should be able to find a tuning guide or at least find some forum discussing it.

Hey, if you do get it to tune hope you wouldn't mind sharing what you do, always wanted to work on one myself.

Comment

call the manufactor or go to their websight

Comment

Originally posted by Garbuster View Post
          Friend of mine bought a barnett crossbow and can't get it to shoot right. The arrow is kicking side to side. How do you tune a crossbow? I've never dealt with one.
          Is he cocking it by hand or using a rope pull device? I bought a 10 PT x bow this summer and when I cock it by hand the string never is centered correctly, when I shoot it the arrow hits off every time. When I use the installed cocking device it is dead on. The guys at Cabelas suggested marking the string, while it is at rest , on both sides of the arrow rail with a magic marker. When you cock it adjust the string side to side to get the marks even on the side of the rail. Hope this helps !

Comment

Barnett also wants you to shoot the moon nocks only, not the flat nocks. Don't forget to use rail lube! And as others have said "only cock the bow with the rope cocker or similar device". Make sure there isn't a knick in the rail, that might throw the arrows out. Also make sure the bolt in front that holds the bow to the stock is tight.

Comment

Thanks guys I will look into this. Like I said I've never dealt with one so its a learning experience.

Comment

Working...
              X