NEW BOW!!!!...Buyers Remorse?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NEW BOW!!!!...Buyers Remorse?

I have been hunting with a Martin Cheetah. Not a very expensive or "high end" bow, but I really liked it. I killed a few deer and hogs and one nice bull elk in Colorado with that Cheetah. It was quick, quiet, and easy to shoot. I bought it a couple years ago because I shot my pastor's and it just felt right. It has been a trusty bow. Only my third to own in the last 19 years...10 of which I bowhunted pretty hard.

Fast-forward to yesterday when, after shopping for a few weeks and shooting some "better" bows than my Cheetah, I walked out of my local bow shop with a new Mathews Z7. I shot it a lot during my "research" and it was by far the favorite of the ones that I've shot. But is it the favorite in my garage?

That Cheetah has been faithful to me. Never has it failed to perform. I can't help but feel as if I am cheating on the Cheetah. Does it deserve to be banished and forgotten, like an old girlfriend who got fat?

I love my new set-up. It is great to shoot and I can't wait to hunt with it this next weekend. Question is, will it do it's job as well as the Cheetah did, or will I have a very expensive regret? Only time will tell.

I felt the same when I got a new one this year. I dont regret it, but did make nice place on my wall for my 03' Jennings. Everyone's gotta retire someday.

I may get him some new accessories and take him fishin' this summer, thats what retired people like to do...right?

Comment

By the end of the season, you will be completely in love with your new mistress (uh, I mean Mathews) You'll probably even end up asking her to marry you! ;-)

Enjoy it! Mathews' bows are awesome, and that new Z7 is mean looking!

Comment

Pass the martin on to a friend of family member who is new to bowhunting.

Comment

I know a lot of people that use their old bows for bowfishing... if this isn't your can of beer (figured that's more fitting than a cup of tea), pass it on to someone close to you who wants to get started bowhunting...

Comment

it is always good to have a backup bow. especially if you hunt far from home. look at it as the old player becoming the backup. he is still beloved and still part of the team. just not the everyday starter.

Comment

Man, I know how you feel. I have an 07 Diamond Black Ice that just keeps hanging around. I love the bow, it is smooth, quite enough and fast enough. They all need to retire at some point though, I guess. I actually shot the black ice today and with the wind blowing I was still getting good groups with it out to 40 yds. I use it exclusively for hog hunting now. I am looking at getting another bow but can't decide, I almost went with a Z7 but the new ones ae coming out so I want to see what Bowtech and Elite have to offer. Is Mathews doing anything new other than the Safari? Haven't heard much about any of the new bows yet.

You won't regret getting a new one once you draw blood with it or spend some more quality time with her.

Comment

Originally posted by curtintex View Post
                Does it deserve to be banished and forgotten, like an old girlfriend who got fat?
                This almost pushed coffee through my nose!

I agree with the others, keep it for a trusty backup or hand-me-down! Congrats on the new ride.

Comment

You should always have a backup. Always keep the fat girl's phone number.

Comment

That is one of the advantages of hunting with Trad bows. Most all of us own several bows and swap back and forth between them. The old ones never get outdated

Comment

Originally posted by bigtuna View Post
                      pass the martin on to a friend of family member who is new to bowhunting.
                      x10

Comment

I elk hunted with a guy who shot a top of the line Mathews bow for 3d year round, and had an ancient Bear compound with no sights and fingers for elk- nothing to go wrong when it came down to the shot, Al said. He had shot 11 elk several years back. I kept a backup bow for 5+ years and never used it, and finally gave it to a duck hunting buddy to get him into bowhunting. Nothing fancy, but it was a starter bow. Once your familiarity and confidence develops with the new bow (it may be this weekend), consider donating to somebody who you'd like to see in bowhunting.

Comment

Run away as fast as you can don't give in to the FAN boy sickness.......... hold on to that Martin........

Comment

Newer bows are always gonna shoot better and feel smoother. But its like a gun, you never get ride of them. Got a feeling you will like the z7 a lot, i do.

Comment

I got my dad into bowhunting a couple years ago when I gave him my Jennings Buckmaster Lite. Loved that bow, but I love going over and shooting with him even more. He told me he never would have bought one on his own. Now it's made more memories for me than it ever would as a backup hanging on the wall.

Comment

Working...
                              X