tuning a bow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

tuning a bow

I am no tech when it comes to bows... I dont even shoot that much except for hunting season. Well I just had a new string put on my bow and now the arrows are doing a loopty loo in the air when I shoot...field points and broadheads alike.

I dont have the time to go to a shop and stay for tuning. Can you just drop off a bow and let someone else shoot and tune it?

I know this is probably a dumb question.... but I wanted to know before I just try to go drop it off! I figure anyone can shoot it thru the paper and move the rest around huh?????

thanks guys! I dont mind asking dumb question around yall! I know you will ride me for it....

just read another thread.... his issue was spine! Well im shooting the same arrows as last year and they were flying just fine. dont beleive its spine or vane clearance....

Comment

Most shops can get everything set pretty close, but it is best for them to help you do the fine tune, because you are the shooter and everyone is different.

Comment

Take it back to the shop that put your string on and ask the to tune it sounds like it is out of time or knocking point wasn’t put on exactly the same. Could need an extra twist or something I'm not an expert but that what it sounds like to me. If your using the same arrows as last year its not the arrows unless they are hitting the bow somewhere when coming off your string..

Comment

A good shop can get it close, but a Bow can only have one master. You will have to dial it in.

Comment

if the shop has a hooter shooter then they should be able to tune it to your liking, but as most have or will point out, you are the one shooting abd it needs ti be fine tuned to you.

Comment

Yes, drop it off and then when you pick it up,have them do the final tune.

Comment

Might try and move the rest a 16th of an ich one way or the other and see what happens and adjust according to that.

A good bow tech will get it really close for you

Comment

Originally posted by STXBOWHUNTER73 View Post
                  Take it back to the shop that put your string on and ask the to tune it sounds like it is out of time or knocking point wasn’t put on exactly the same. Could need an extra twist or something I'm not an expert but that what it sounds like to me. If your using the same arrows as last year its not the arrows unless they are hitting the bow somewhere when coming off your string..
                  IMHO this is probably the issue above. RONNIE i had same problem and it turned out my D-loop (and knockpoint) were to low and the arrow thus was not square(tuned) the way it should have been. When looking from the side the tip pointed UP. Arrow tip SHOULD point slighty DOWNWARD when a level is place near the tip if knock point /d-loop is properly placed.

Also place an arrow along your lower cam and see if the Gap is consistant along the length of the string. If it is not then you need more Twist on the string because you have cam lean that will also twist the limb.
                  You can also place an arrow across your limb(s) and see if it tips to one side or the other. More than likely the direction your arrows are "looping in flight" will be the direction your limb(s) and twisted.
                  Hope this helps some.
                  Last edited by SanAngeloBowman; 09-23-2010, 09:23 AM.

Comment

Thanks for all the pointers! Rob, I'll be in Angelo Tuesday evening! If you have time i'll meet you at the bow shop... What we dont correct, I'm meeting up with Shinerbock at his house Thursday evening... I'll get it then!

Comment

Working...
                    X