block

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

block

well i got a block tonight, just a cheap one from bass pro shop, says you can shoot , broud heads or feild tips,

black with layers to it , just to get me started ,

so wish me luck this will be the first time i have shot a bow sence i was a little kid !

Relax and take your time, Glad that you have stepped back into the archery world and joined us all here on the green screen.

P.S. this is addictive.................

Comment

I've got the exact same block... for broadheads. It's taken a good number of broadheads and is starting to show some wear. I like my big bag from Academy since it gives a larger area to miss.

I've only been at this about 8 months myself. Start close, be sure you have a good backstop/backfield area for misses. A compound can put an arrow through a fence, and of course between the slates is nothing.

Don't attempt to pull too much weight or you'll get sore and miss more often than not.

Comment

i bought the bow used

its a mathews solocam icon, 29" i think the sticker says its set at 70lbs, should i have it changed for starting out or leave as is to get the feal for it as is !

Comment

I have the same block and it works perfect for me! Welcome to your newest addiction

Comment

I would definately tune it down, but thats personal preference. Ted nugent's wife killed a kudu with a bow at 40lbs!! it is much easier to shot a low poundage bow, i shoot about a 67lb but i definately took some time to get in shape to be able to do so. I went in to test bows in cabelas and could only pull about 40lbs, (i was 15 at the time) and they sold me this:

seems like it was about $10-15 at the time, but it was completely worth it!!! it built up the muscles that are only used for archery, and it is still used today, I work on endurance so that I can reduce the wobble i get after about 30-40 shots. Have fun! hope this helps
            Last edited by Blizake; 06-18-2010, 09:21 PM.

Comment

great tips ill talk to my friend see if he can tune it down to about 60 or 65 for now?

im in fairly good shape , and i have no problem pulling it back as is but i am sure after a few shots it may wear on the sholder a bit

thanks

Comment

a word of advice, if you're just starting back into archery turn your bow down as low as you can comfortably shoot it literally all day. and turning the weight down isnt difficult. just remember to mark your limb bolts so you know exactly how many turns you've went so you can match both limbs..

Comment

Something to consider: I bought a layered foam target from Academy, it worked great for field tips, basicly showed little or no wear, until I decided to do some broad head tuning. Then the layered foam got shredded and started coming out, went downhill fast. You really need solid foam for broadheads if you want to have something that will last. I have a couple of old 3-d targets that i shoot for broadheads, but would like to eventually get a Fusion Block Target, but they are big bucks. There is a video on u-tube of someone shooting broadheads at close range into chunks of styrefoam packing.

Comment

well got out of bed today and thought i would start the day with some target shooting !!

did i tell you all i was new to this !

any how could not hit it for ****!

i even lost an arrow lol

any way went to a my friends house for a b-day party and got to talking with him and he pointed out my PEAP SITE

well i didnt know about this PEAP SITE , so any how got back home tonight and started shooting again and i used the site, well that made all the diff in the world

had to move the sites abit , and i still need to set up the other pins but for now i have the 3 pin from top hitting 1" groops at about 22 steps, about 25 yards i would guess !

any how jason "my friend" says that is good for my first day ! any how im going to take it to abow shop when i get time and work with some of them to get everything set up for me make sure the bow is in working order , draw and all that !

any how

thanks

Comment

You'll get it worked out.

I wouldn't shoot too many broadheads into that target or it will tear it up.

Comment

Originally posted by keep View Post
                        You'll get it worked out.

I wouldn't shoot too many broadheads into that target or it will tear it up.

X2 on that. Ive shot it @ 20 times with a broad head and its starting to tear up. Ive only had it since X mas.

Comment

Welcome back!

Comment

I going to go get that same block from Bass Pro tonight been wanting it but wanted to here how it actually held up didnt want it to fall apart after 10 or 15 arrows went through it.....

Comment

Working...
                            X