Scent Lok found guilty of false advertising

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scent Lok found guilty of false advertising

Seen a couple reports about a suit being filed in Minnesota. Anyone heard anything about this? Here is a link to a thread about it at archerytalk:

Here is the ruling published on the arguing firm's website

On May 13, 2010, United States Federal District Judge Kyle found that ALS, the manufacturer and seller of Scent Lok clothing, and Cabela's and Gander Mountain, both of which sell Scent Lok and their own private-label clothing using Scent Lok technology, falsely advertised the ability of their Scent Lok clothing to eliminate odor. The Court found that “Defendants have published countless advertisements” almost all of which “utilize the slogans ‘odor-eliminating technology’ or ‘odor-eliminating clothing.’” The Court further found that the experts agreed that the Scent Lok clothing “cannot eliminate odor, even when new.” The Court held that all advertisements that used the words “odor-eliminating technology,” “odor-eliminating clothing,” “eliminates all types of odor,” “odor elimination,” “remove all odor,” “complete scent elimination,” “scent-free,” “works on 100% of your scent 100% of the time,” “all human scent,” “odor is eradicated,” and graphics demonstrating that human odor cannot escape the carbon-embedded fabric are all false statements as a matter of law. In addition, the Court found claims that the Scent Lok clothing could be “reactivated” to “like new” or “pristine” condition to be false as a matter of law.

The Court will issue an injunction to prevent Defendants from further false advertising.

The Minnesota case is now ready for trial. The remaining issues in the Minnesota case are the amount of damages to be paid to each plaintiff and the award of attorneys' fees and costs to plaintiffs' attorneys.

Because the Court earlier denied Plaintiffs' motion for class certification, Plaintiffs in the Minnesota case are only able to recover damages for their own purchases. However, the injunction against false advertising will benefit all future consumers of Scent Lok products in Minnesota.

Comment

people should know you cant buy a jacket or pants that make all your scent disapear. im 16 and know that. its just dumb to sue them for that.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt B. View Post
        people should know you cant buy a jacket or pants that make all your scent disapear. im 16 and know that. its just dumb to sue them for that.
        X2 Matt

Comment

x3

Originally posted by txcat44 View Post
          X2 Matt

Comment

X4 yea thats stuffs over rated

Comment

Glad I never fell for that stuff, way too pricey for me.

Comment

From experiance, I'm a beleiver. Not so much in Scent Lock brand as I do in Scent Blocker brand. It dosen't “eliminate all odor”. But I beleive I have had much greater success with deer and pigs down wind of me, coming to me, than with out it.

Just my .02 cents.

Comment

Im glad i joined this site and found this thread. I was getting ready to pull the trigger on a couple hundred dollars of the stuff.

I will say this though.. I use the gander mountain base layer that is "anti-microbial", I hang my clothes outside for about 7 days before a trip and then use "scent away" spray on my way out the door and I have gotten closer to animals that i care to be!

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Grown View Post
                    From experiance, I'm a beleiver. Not so much in Scent Lock brand as I do in Scent Blocker brand. It dosen't “eliminate all odor”. But I beleive I have had much greater success with deer and pigs down wind of me, coming to me, than with out it.

Just my .02 cents.
                    No I totally agree, but to assume it blocks ALL ODER... These people are looking for an excuse to sue someone.

Comment

Originally posted by txcat44 View Post
                      No I totally agree, but to assume it blocks ALL ODER... These people are looking for an excuse to sue someone.
                      That may be true but IMO there are way too many companies out there employing outrageous marketing claims to try and make a buck. If it doesn't block all odor then don't say it blocks all odor.

Comment

I will save my money and us the best scent elimination (Dead Down Wind)

Comment

Hunt 360!!!!

Comment

The way I look at it the stuff can help, but it cant eliminate. I have some of the "scent-blocker" gear, but I usually buy the off brand stuff b/c it's cheaper and I don't buy into all of it. Good thread guys

Comment

i believe both the scent blocker and scent lok and scent shield clothing all for the bost part have the same success rate. i think any of them are productive pieces of the complete puzzle which is utilizing the bathing products, the deoderants, rubber soled boots and tons of field spray, all of which i prefer dead down wind. and if you wanna totally put the icing on the cake i use the buck bomb to spray in my immediate surroundings as a masking cover scent. the funniest part of all of this is if you killed good deer using scent lok..... you wile probably keep using it. its the same with broadheads, bow manufactures, cases, arrows and everfything else vindective of the archery world. we always seem to vert back to the old addage, if its not broke, dont fix it, use whats keeping you successful in the field.....

Comment

Working...
                              X