Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kinetic Energy

Lets talk KE..

I will leave this open to those who have more knowledge in the area of KE than I do.

What are you realistically looking for when it come to KE and shooting Texas whitetails and hogs?

KE Equation:
    Weight x Speed x Speed / 450240

Almost any set up most people are shooting today will give you enough Ke to kill anything in TX. if you are getting 60# Ke, you should be good to go for almost anything in the states. 70# would be better, but 60# is sufficient with a good sharp BH. Some will tell you that KE is not the only thing involved when hunting. Momentum has alot to do with penetration on animals, especially on larger game and longer distances. Here is a little testing I did a while back on KE, momentum, foc and such. As you can see, momentum increases while KE will drop a little after a certain point.

410 gr @ 312 88# KE .57 momentum 7.95% foc

460 gr @ 298 90.62# KE .61 momentum 12.52% foc

480 gr @ 291 90.17# KE .62 momentum 14.03% foc

510 gr @ 284 91.25# KE .64 momentum 16.05% foc

560 gr @ 269 89.89# KE .67 momentum 18.9% foc

Comment

I have always liked a min of 60 lbs. Don't know if that's what you were asking. Most modern bows today should produce at least the amount of draw weight unless under 27" draw length. Texas white tails have been killed with less than 40. But I like to know if I ask my arrow to do a job even if its going thru bone that it is fully capable in doing so.

Comment

Is there a formula to calculate KE?

Comment

Weight x speed x speed divided by 450240

Comment

i got about 120.8 KE!!! that should be enough to go through whatever bone i want

Comment

how do i calculate momentum and foc

Comment

This will give you the KE and momentum formulas and the last the way to get your foc.

Comment

Originally posted by DPerez905 View Post
                  i got about 120.8 KE!!! that should be enough to go through whatever bone i want
                  What are you shooting 100 pounds plus of draw weight?

Comment

I was thinking the same thing on dperez905's KE total. What setup are you shooting to get that KE!

Comment

120#'s of KE would equate shooting a 500 grain arrow at 325 fps, or that would be shooting a 350 grain arrow at close to 400 fps. I don't want to step on your toes, but something does not seem right with the #'s.

Comment

For those of us that have taken numerous animals, have found that two animals shot in the same spot will react different. Don't get hung up on numbers, get the right arrow, with the right spine. Put a good tip on the end, shoot the arrow in the boiler room, havest game. I would also point out how much more important foc and weight of the shaft is, compared to ke. Many years ago, we tested everything, including ke. We shot into a 3/4" plywood with different heads, with the same bows. With a 180gr head with 3 different bows had the best penetration. So we hung a front shoulder on a string in front of a bale of hay. With the same arrows and same 3 bows, the only thing different was the bh. None had gone more than the fletch deep, and once again it was the heavier head. Look at Mudslingers # not much difference from a lite arrow to the heavy arrow, all will do the job, but I would still prefer the heavier arrow.

Comment

Its a 93lb GT500 set at 29dl shooting a 730gr DG FMJ at 273 fps. That's how I get what I calc.

Comment

Energy is important but Not at the expence of accuracy. You should shoot a poundage and a speed that allows you to be comfortable and shoot good groups.

Comment

Oh you would be surpised at what kind of groups I can shoot with it. I have won more 3D shoots with this bow than my 70 BT. When I do shoot 3D I turn it down a couple pounds maybe around 88 or so but I would be able to go through 3d shoots with it maxed out.

Comment

Working...
                              X