X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hog Pipe

Brilliant.......I will try this!!!!

Comment

Instead of pipe use a 55 gal drum with the same size holes drilled in it and chain it to a tree.....or between two trees....you can hear the drum bangin around for a long distance away....

Comment

i have read that you can mix in a little deisel with your corn to keep it fresh and deter the coons and such. i think the mixture was 1 oz to 5 gallons (deisel to corn).

Comment

i made one a bout a year ago and it has been great...mine is smaller but it works great the first couple of times they pulled it out of the ground with one of those dog tie out things that screw into the ground so now i use a 2 foot eye bolt with washers welded on the bottom....with the dog tie out i had to find the feeder about 50 yds away torn through brush and everything...and me i didnt like the chain because if there are roots and things the hogs will get that thing tangled so bad thats why i went with a thick wire....and use a 55 gal drum?man that piktures funny in my head

Comment

Hog Pipe

Well I broke down and made one. I am making 2 of them. One with chain and the other with cable to see the pros/cons of each. I'll post my findings later on in the year.

Comment

Just curious, bowhica, you don't think they'll unscrew the cap rolling it around with the chain on the threaded cap end? It'll probably never happen, but was just the first thing that caught my eye.

Comment

hog pipe

My intentions for putting the chain in the screw cap instead of the end cap is because of this. With UV, weather and abuse by the hogs I figured if the end cap fails you have to cut your pipe and reglue a new cap. But if the screw cap fails I cut nothing, redrill the anchor hole and screw it back in. Whether it will ever get to that point I don't know, but that is how my little brain clicks. LOL!! I took care the unscrewing by putting a set screw in the side. You can jusr see it on the top of the pipe.

Comment

I built 2 of them over the weekend since it was raining and I couldn't make it to the lease. But, mine is a hybrid version of what has been saw here.

The bolt went on the cap end (I thought about it unscrewing, but didn't think about a set screw), I used 2 washers on each side with a nut on the outside and a lock nut on the inside. I put a 45 since I thought it would fill easier than a 90 with the fill cap on the end of the 45. For now I only put 6 3/8 holes in it. I'll be using some coated cable to attach it to the tree.

Hopefully putting it in place this weekend.

Got all the materials (already had glue and cable) at Lowes for 2, cost was about $50. BTW - Check out their prices, they wanted $14 for a 5' piece of 4" pipe or $17 for a 10' piece and they will cut it for you. With that being said, the only thing I had to do is drill some holes, attach the eye bolt, and glue. Maximum 15 minutes to build both of them.

Comment

Originally posted by bowhica View Post
                    Well I broke down and made one. I am making 2 of them. One with chain and the other with cable to see the pros/cons of each. I'll post my findings later on in the year.
                    Mine look exactly like yours except the eye bolt is on the fixed end. I used coated cable too. It is a very easy project. It took me longer to find the parts in Home Depot than to build the things. I think I spent like $60 total for two of them. And I went overboard on the cable clamps, etc.

I installed swivel clips on the end of my cables to keep the twist out. I have been trying to figure out a way to attach it to a tpost that will allow it to roll around without the cable getting all wrapped up. I've seen some 2" steel rings before, but HD didn't have any. Feed/farm and ranch stores are pretty scarce in north Dallas too Anyone have any ideas?

Comment

Originally posted by innergel View Post
                      I installed swivel clips on the end of my cables to keep the twist out. I have been trying to figure out a way to attach it to a tpost that will allow it to roll around without the cable getting all wrapped up. I've seen some 2" steel rings before, but HD didn't have any. Feed/farm and ranch stores are pretty scarce in north Dallas too Anyone have any ideas?
                      How about some rebar and a quick weld to make a ring?

Comment

Originally posted by bowhica View Post
                        My intentions for putting the chain in the screw cap instead of the end cap is because of this. With UV, weather and abuse by the hogs I figured if the end cap fails you have to cut your pipe and reglue a new cap. But if the screw cap fails I cut nothing, redrill the anchor hole and screw it back in. Whether it will ever get to that point I don't know, but that is how my little brain clicks. LOL!! I took care the unscrewing by putting a set screw in the side. You can jusr see it on the top of the pipe.
                        I see! Good idea with the set screws..... Hope they work for ya! I like to see fresh pork on the ground

Comment

Are you using 4" or 6" pipe" Anyone that is in the Buda area, we have all the parts for this in stock and I can probably beat any price.

Comment

hog pipe

I believe the norm has been 4".

Comment

Originally posted by BIG D View Post
                              Are you using 4" or 6" pipe" Anyone that is in the Buda area, we have all the parts for this in stock and I can probably beat any price.
                              Are you in Buda or Shiner? Your profile location says Shiner.

Comment

Got 'em in the field

I put out the tube I made this weekend.

First, I made my holes 3/8 to start with. Filled the first one up and figured out the corn I had was larger than 3/8. I had my cordless drill, but did not pack my complete set of bits, but did find one bit in my box. I don't know what size the holes are now, but corn will slowly come out. In fact, I may need to increase the size. I will wait until I return to check on them to figure that out... As per the advice posted earlier on this thread I don't want it to be too easy to empty. I only put 7 holes in each tube.

Here are a few pics I took, sorry about the quality I was using my phone. I wanted to get a good before and after picture of the area. You can see on this one I tied it down with a t-post. I then bought a 2" ring at Lowes for .77 to allow it to move around.

It is kinda hard to see in the last picture, I was trying to get a pic of the clamp with swivel on it. My brother thought this would be a good addition to keep the wire from twisting up.

These were made out of 4" PVC, 5' long. I had made 2 of them. It took one 50lb bag of corn to fill both of them. I had thought they would hold 50lbs each.

Hopefully I will get back out there in a few weeks to check them out. I put a game camera on the second pipe, maybe I'll have some action photos next time too!

Comment

Working...
                                X