new bowhunting setup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

new bowhunting setup

I had posted a thread a few weeks back about considerate loggers and showed a picture of my previous bow stand in a pine tree that was now sticking out like a sore thumb after the area was clearcut- the holly tree that had my setup concealed had been removed I am assuming to get to the pine tree my stand was attached to. Once the holly tree was removed and they saw my stand they left the tree but it is now the only thing in 100 yards in any direction that is over about 8' tall. So had to come up with another plan. Standing in my feeder pen I started looking around and the only "structure" that was in bow range a pine tree top laying on the ground.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	tree top.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	453.7 KB
ID:	25311845

So I am thinking that maybe a popup in the middle of it might be the ticket but with all the debris on the ground locating snake might be difficult. Go to thinking and remembered I had an old tripod at the house that I might make work. This is what I started with:

Name:	tripod 1.jpg
Size:	522.6 KB
ID:	25311846

Wanting to make the platform a little bigger so I can stretch my legs some I started looking around for material to work with. Located some angle iron that I had laying around to use to make a frame to attach to the platform. Not having a stick welder and not having used my wire welder in a long time decided to just drill and bolt it together. Started by cutting and bolting two horizontal pieces onto the platform. Then cut a longer piece to attach to them.

Name:	tripod 2.jpg
Size:	546.7 KB
ID:	25311847

Name:	tripod 3.jpg
Size:	577.1 KB
ID:	25311848
    Then cut me two pieces to angle back from the perpendicular piece on each side back to the rear of the platform.

Name:	tipod 4.jpg
Size:	594.1 KB
ID:	25311849

Didn't have any expanded metal to lay in the new addition and didn't want to either buy a complete sheet of pay for a cut off piece. Got to thinking and remembered that I had an old BBQ pit that I was going to haul off and that the grates that I had build for it might work. Got them out, did some measuring and cutting, and here you go. Took everything apart, painted, and bolted back together.

Name:	tripod 4.jpg
Size:	608.1 KB
ID:	25311853

Carried it out to the lease yesterday to set up, to give plenty of time for me to make any adjustments I might need to and get the critters used to it. Set it up where I figured would make best use of the fallen treetop.

Name:	20230331_165836.jpg
Size:	535.8 KB
ID:	25311854

Used some long conduit, pushed into the ground for me to attach camo cloth to.

Name:	20230331_171358.jpg
Size:	516.1 KB
ID:	25311855

Have a little more tweeking to do but short of having to move my pen and feeder I think it could work. My location is within 60 or 80 yards from a drain that holds water and a number of white oaks so having to work with what I have.

Nice!!!

Comment

Well done. One thing I have noticed is the year following a ‘clear cut’ the deer flock to that area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by ETX-Deerslayer View Post
        Well done. One thing I have noticed is the year following a ‘clear cut’ the deer flock to that area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        All the sun allows the new growth to come up and the deer love it.

Comment

Great idea

Comment

Nice simple set up.

Comment

Nice work

Comment

I bet it'll be functional at getting the job done! I've got a quad stuck up in a thin tree about 9' off the ground and had to use some hog panel & burlap for cover in a big gap on one side. I couldn't tell you how many deer I've snuffed from that quad. It's not gonna win an award for pretty, but it's dang sure effective! I like what you've done!

Comment

Once there used to it pick a spot!

Comment

Working...
                  X