No announcement yet.

My New Pond - looking for more ideas and knowledge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Super nice. When I made mine, it came a flood the day after I dug it and I never got a chance to put all my cover in. You did it right and looks like the weather cooperated with you.

Comment

Originally posted by BrianL View Post
      Don't have enough watershed to fill it? You will want to start with your bait fish, and they won't require a full pond. Based off you pond size you might start with 35# of fathead minnows, 500 Red eared sunfish, 3500 copper nose bluegill to start your food chain.
      This is what we did. The only other species I put in were Black Crappie. I have a heck of a Black Crappie pond. Birds and running creeks transplanted bass in there and now the bass are getting to be a couple pounds' as well. I put 20 pounds of minnows in twice a year. The brim and perch have done great preproducing

Comment

Originally posted by Chew View Post
        Following along. Looks great! I don't want to know the price tag cause I'll just get upset about the little mudhole I'm planning. Thanks for letting us tag along.
        They can get expensive fast. Luckily when the oil boom was in Leon county my father in law gave the oil companies permission to build 3 ponds on our place. 7, 8 and 10 acres. They built them and installed wells to fill them up and bought water from us. Once they stopped draining and buying water I started stocking fish in them The kiddos love to "catch" fish. There are a couple wells near us about to kick off again so we may be selling water in the near future so we will see how things play out. At least my crappie tank is off limits per TCEQ

Comment

Originally posted by rut-ro View Post
          They can get expensive fast. Luckily when the oil boom was in Leon county my father in law gave the oil companies permission to build 3 ponds on our place. 7, 8 and 10 acres. They built them and installed wells to fill them up and bought water from us. Once they stopped draining and buying water I started stocking fish in them The kiddos love to "catch" fish. There are a couple wells near us about to kick off again so we may be selling water in the near future so we will see how things play out. At least my crappie tank is off limits per TCEQ
          That sounds great. I don't think I've been fishing since I moved up here. Let me know if you ever need a partner to drown some worms

Comment

this is awesome, following

Comment

Any updates on this beauty filling up? I seemed to miss most of the good rains this spring but was able to get about 8' of water in mine. Big big rains just north and south of me. I found a few spots to improve runoff catchment but not until after all the rain was done for the summer. I went ahead and stocked channels, a few blues, copper nose bluegill, and fatheads. Come October I plan to put in some black crappie and more fatheads.

Comment

Working...
              X