No announcement yet.

Gummed up ATV carburetor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New carbs were under $20 on Amazon last time we put a go kart together. I keep a few on the shelves for whenever the next piece of equipment won’t start.

Comment

Clean the float bowl and pin

Comment

im a small engine and watercraft mech
        all the bandaids of special additives are garbage imo. Most are not good and yes can help w cleaning a stuck needle in the carb however the risk you pose to the cylinder walls is not worth it. They wash any lube off the rings and will cause premature wear. Gasoline burns way different . Take the carb off and clean it out if you aren't comfortable doing so take it to someone that you can trust or that machine will leave you high and dry

Comment

Originally posted by 60 Deluxe View Post
          Put injector cleaner in your gas and drive it. Or you can spend a couple of hours pulling the carb off and cleaning it. My biggest problem has been finding a wire small enough for the low speed jet. One thing that has worked for me was pulling the jets, putting them in a pill bottle, then covering them with acetone for about an hour. Give it a shake every now and then. The acetone works quickly on the gum or varnish.
          Guys mine sits for months, and I use ethanol free gas in mine and luckily I can get it at bucees next to my house, Learned this the hard way and used reg gas. If you have a wire brush, pull out one of the brush hairs, they are usually thin enough to clean most jets, passages. I use brake cleaner most the time because it’s what I have handy, but watch your gaskets and parts that are rubber around brake cleaner. Good luck.

Comment

Following

Comment

Originally posted by Walker View Post
              Where are you and the bike located?
              Franklin, TX

Comment

Originally posted by Wits_End View Post
                I don't think octane levels has anything to do with it. I've never heard of higher octane not having ethanol.

Cleaning the jets on a carb is fairly simple. Take off side panel, two hose clamps, wiggle it out or sideways, remove bowl, unscrew jet, use small wire and air to clean it out.
                Could be all BS, but I was told that high octane fuel has more detergents in it and can help. It is probably a wives tale!

Comment

Originally posted by Jon B View Post
                  Franklin, TX
                  Too far for me to help.

Comment

Gummed up ATV carburetor?

Not to hijack your thread but I tore my carb on my mower today. Went to choke it and the choke broke off middle the carb . Tore the carb apart and it was full of some nasty white grease looking stuff. It looked like grease that was poured down a drain .

Comment

Originally posted by Strummer View Post
                      Not to hijack your thread but I tore my carb on my mower today. Went to choke it and the choke broke off middle the carb . Tore the carb apart and it was full of some nasty white grease looking stuff. It looked like grease that was poured down a drain .
                      Sounds like moisture in your fuel

Comment

That’s what I was thinking it was from but wasn’t sure. I have to buy a new carb . Darn choke lever broke off inside the carb .

Comment

Originally posted by dmk View Post
                          Believe it or not, I've had good luck w/ Mechanic In a Bottle. It's saved a few things I thought were beyond help.
                          That’s what I was gonna suggest. I had a wood splitter set for two years without running. Mechanic in a Bottle solved that.

Comment

IMO on small carburated engines just buy a new carburator if they are available. The time you spend messing around with it and the frustration that comes along with it is not worth the pain and suffering.

Comment

Always had issues like you are having, but had an atv mechanic tell me to always use non-ethanol fuel mixed with a double dose of marine Stabil (blue). No ethanol to create "varnish" and the marine stabil eliminates any moisture. Have done this for a few years now on now 5 machines total and they have all cranked up like they were already warm no matter how long they sit or what the temp is.

Comment

Originally posted by TXBRASS View Post
                                Always had issues like you are having, but had an atv mechanic tell me to always use non-ethanol fuel mixed with a double dose of marine Stabil (blue). No ethanol to create "varnish" and the marine stabil eliminates any moisture. Have done this for a few years now on now 5 machines total and they have all cranked up like they were already warm no matter how long they sit or what the temp is.
                                This is exactly what I use in my chainsaws, weedeaters and sawmill engine. Ethanol free and Marine Stabil.

Comment

Working...
                                X