DIY---- Hog Light (Stabalizer Light)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

nice post/pics, thanks for the info....I'm going to try one this weekend
    Last edited by Backstrap Bob; 06-22-2009, 11:29 PM.

Comment

Just a note to let everyone know that there are two colors for the flashlight. I went to the store in Sugar Land and they had one in a gunmetal color that looks identical to Wes' painted one. (Just an option for not painting it...)

Comment

Hey guys you think if i use bigger wires the light will be brighter?

Comment

Originally posted by stuntriderant View Post
          Hey guys you think if i use bigger wires the light will be brighter?
          It worked in my case. The previous wires I had couldn't draw enough current, so I moved to a slightly larger gauge. Made a world of difference.

Comment

So you have to hold down those tact switches to get them to stay on and it shuts off as soon as you let go?

Comment

Originally posted by jared_bays View Post
              I re-worked a couple of things on mine today. I changed out the switch from a lever style to a tach switch and re-worked the solder on the spring and positive connection and I am very happy with the way it came out. I put the switch inside heat shrink and heated the area around the wire and the part on the switch just enough that it doesn't press the button. When I did the soldering the second time I used a very fine solder, .022", and it made a world of difference. Worked much better. The light isn't quite as bright as I would like, but none are when you add the red filter. I might see if I can upgrade the bulb to a brighter bulb with more lumens. jOnly thing I have left is add a piece of velco to the switch and to the back of the riser on my bow. After painting it black I decided to add a little flare to it. I painted it in OD green then picked a marigold stem from the flower bed and added a little camo, just in case.
              CAn I get a part number for the switch?

Comment

I used one kinda like this

Comment

What Gauge wires are you guys using if your not going with the phone charger style?

Comment

Originally posted by justletmein View Post
                    So you have to hold down those tact switches to get them to stay on and it shuts off as soon as you let go?
                    Yes, it turns off when you release pressure

Originally posted by Blood Trail View Post
                    CAn I get a part number for the switch?
                    Radio Shack part # 275-0002

Comment

Nice.

Comment

Originally posted by jared_bays View Post
                        I might see if I can upgrade the bulb to a brighter bulb with more lumens.
                        Let us know if you come up with anything on an led upgrade!

Originally posted by wes122984 View Post
                        OK guys here goes my first attempt at a DIY.
                        Thanks for the idea of installing a switch. Great thread!

Originally posted by Blast-n-cast View Post
                        I used the tact switch. I also used shrink wrap on both ends of the wire to protect and make it a little sturdier.
                        Excellent "upgrades" to an already impressive DIY. Thanks!

Below are some pics of my completed light. I liked the idea of having the switch completely enclosed with the shrink wrap for a cleaner look. So I used my soldering iron to make a hole large enough so as not to impede the push button on the tactical switch. I used a drop of super glue to keep the end of the shrink wrap closed. The wire that I used was just some old speaker wire that I had laying around. I am not sure of the gauge, but it was big enough to make for a very tight fit inside the tube of the flashlight.

Comment

I am going to try my hand at this today. I am sure I will have questions.

Comment

Making a list and trying tonight.

Comment

Originally posted by brushsniper View Post
                              Making a list and trying tonight.
                              get after it! and post some pics!

Comment

I have not done the DYI light yet, but I have two of the Coleman LED lights and they are very bright and great for the price. I have the small one(uses the funny batteries) and the larger that uses the AAA batteries. Both have great run time, I think 6+ hours on each.

Comment

Working...
                                X