Upgrades to Texas Sized Hog Trap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Upgrades to Texas Sized Hog Trap

While I eventually end up trapping the entire sounder, lately the entire sounder has been entering my Texas Trap, eating all of the corn, and leaving without ever touching the manual tire. They will return several times and as I said, I will eventually trap them but it may not be all that convenient for me to go out the next day to kill them.

When I saw other TBHers building a DIY wireless gate drop, I knew I had to build one.

I started out with the set up that Duckhead had but the GSM he used was 3G and no longer works. In spite of all of the help Rubberdown gave me I was getting very frustrated. Kyle said I needed to upgrade to a 4G KiaoTime activator. With Kyle's help I also figured out the trunk solenoid used in Duckhead's set up was blowing my fuses within 1 second. Kyle recommended I get the electronic switch, which I admit I was not too excited about. I had already spent more than I thought I would. But I didn't see any alternative.

While waiting for the switch to arrive, I trapped this sounder. But it was very foggy that night and in spite of 2 cameras being there, I could not see the gate or the trap.

In fact, it wasn't until I sent a picture request at 8:30 that I knew I had something. But I had no idea what was in there until we went out to shoot them. The photo came through while we were loading up the vehicle at 5 pm. There were 9 good sized pigs that went to new homes.

The next day my switch arrived and I knew Kyle's suggestion was the right one. I was wanting to make my trap both manual and wireless, just incase the pigs came after I was asleep. This switch allowed me to do exactly that.

Check out this 3 minute video. https://rumble.com/v25r0au-pig-trap-trigger.html

Naturally, all of the pigs have disappeared again. They will be back, though. And I'll be watching.....
    Attached Files

An additional upgrade - we are starting to drag RR cross ties around the exterior perimeter of the fence to keep pigs from digging out. It is amazing how fast they can dig when pressured. While they have not escaped yet, the RR ties will keep me from having to fix the parts they dig.

Comment

I like that trigger setup!

Comment

One of my customers built a remote door out of an automatic door opener and key fob. The thing is awesome!

Comment

Another nice improvement!

Comment

Stacking swine...

Comment

I'm glad I could help out and happy to see you got everything working.

Comment

Thats a biggon

Comment

If you ever decide to switch latches. southCo latches can be run from that system and you can do multiple by connecting them with extension cords. Also look up reo link security cameras on Amazon. You can watch the trap on live feed and it will alert you when something goes In. I use this to catch exotics.

Comment

Working...
                  X