Rain water collection system with 55 gallon drums

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rain water collection system with 55 gallon drums

A number of people have asked me about this system.
    I had a dream of having a rain barrel and my husband took it to a whole new level. He said why not 3? I laughed and said why not 6? Challenge accepted!

He set 4x4 posts in concrete and built a stock to hold 6 barrels on their sides. The barrels are food grade with sealed tops and 2 small openings, both the screw lids. By using the two small openings already there, we didn't have to cut any holes into the barrels.
    The stock allows the barrels to lay on the sides. A support 2x6 is placed under the middle of each barrel to they don't sag with the weight of the water.
    A schedule 40 PVC is used to carry water from the roof gutter to the bottom barrel, but we extended it past the turn so that debris from the roof will collect below the turn. We added a shutoff valve above that drain, so we can flush the line without dumping out too much water.
    After the bottom barrel is full, the smaller PVC pipe carries the water up to the next barrel. And again to the top barrel. Originally each side was separated and independent but we found the right side had much less gutter and runoff, so it was difficult to fill. Therefore we connected the overflow on the left to the right side. We added a flexhose to the top on the right side, so when all the barrels are full, the overflow has a place to go. We should have tied it back into the downspout.
    Then we painted all of the PVC so the UV sunlight rays wouldn't dry it out as quickly. We could have used UV resistant pipe, but didn't think about it until it was too late. But it's on the north side, so it's ok.
    Just before the Christmas freeze, we could either Option 1 - drain the entire system, or we chose option 2, cover the pipes with insulation and heat tape. It worked great!
    Found some free fence boards a neighbor gave away to make it a bit prettier. I need to get some more to do the east and west sides
    The spigots are high enough that we can put a 5 gallon bucket under them.

The garden is close by and we have enough water for the dogs and the 5 ducks we have, and all of the prefer the rain water over over city water. It's worked so well, that we are talking about putting in a second one close to the shop.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20230115_171708.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	25304143

Name:	20230115_172029.jpg
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	25304144

Name:	20230115_172101.jpg
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	25304145

Name:	20230115_172122.jpg
Size:	17.7 KB
ID:	25304146

Name:	20230115_172204.jpg
Size:	30.2 KB
ID:	25304147

Name:	20230115_172353.jpg
Size:	60.8 KB
ID:	25304148

Name:	20230115_172459.jpg
Size:	76.3 KB
ID:	25304149

Sorry, missed putting in this "halfway done" photo

Name:	20220820_094307.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	100.3 KB
ID:	24704379

Comment

Nice setup.

Comment

That is a bad azz set up. Well done!
        Last edited by Hogmauler; 01-16-2023, 05:58 AM.

Comment

Good job, I like it, well thought out.

Comment

I see one problem with this…….. I made the mistake of showing it to my wife. Thanks Stacey !

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
              I see one problem with this…….. I made the mistake of showing it to my wife. Thanks Stacey !

I can volunteer my husband to come help LOL

Comment

When we get about 3" of rain, both sides will completely fill.

Comment

Nice. I have lots of fence boards that you are welcome to. They are in the barn.

Comment

Wow! That’s awesome ingenuity!

Comment

Nice job, Stacey and Husband.

I did something similar with a single barrel a few years ago. And a single 10' piece of guttering. Used it to irrigate my bucket garden. Single rain filled up the barrel. Then I had 1" pvc running across the tops of each bucket with drippers attached. I had a valve at the bottom of the barrel that I could turn on and let it all drip for X-nuber of time. Drippers freed up my time to do other things while the pepper and dwarf okra plants got water. I thought about building something similar to what you have as far as the number of barrels goes.

Comment

That is awesome! But, I'm not showing my wife.

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Grown View Post
                          Nice job, Stacey and Husband.

I did something similar with a single barrel a few years ago. And a single 10' piece of guttering. Used it to irrigate my bucket garden. Single rain filled up the barrel. Then I had 1" pvc running across the tops of each bucket with drippers attached. I had a valve at the bottom of the barrel that I could turn on and let it all drip for X-nuber of time. Drippers freed up my time to do other things while the pepper and dwarf okra plants got water. I thought about building something similar to what you have as far as the number of barrels goes.
                          I'd love to see pictures of that!

Comment

Originally posted by Dusty Britches View Post
                            I'd love to see pictures of that!

I wish I had taken pics. I had over 60 pepper plants total. Mostly Cayenne. Some were Anaheim/Hatch or known as #9 chili. Got enough to last me the rest of my life in my freezer. Just need drying. I sold most of the PVC stuff and the barrel. But still have some buckets ready to plant. It'd be easy to set another up. Got my inspiration from others on YouTube via "bucket gardening". Very efficient ways of using rainwater. And growing plants. Also, "self watering rain guttering grow system". Got my buckets from Sam's bakery. They had icing for cakes in them before. They stack and throw them away. They come in 3 and 6 gallon sizes. 6 gallon buckets will grow dwarf okra, peppers, some tomatoes pending type, marigolds for repelling offensive insects, and many other plants. Buckets will become brittel after a few years. And can't be moved much when they do. I've got them elevated off the ground with 2x6 and cynder blocks.

I used a 50/50 mix of potting soil and local soil.

A system as large as Stacey's could last a couple months, pending how many plants need watering.
                            Last edited by Texas Grown; 01-20-2023, 05:58 PM.

Comment

Some good ideas here

Comment

Working...
                              X