No announcement yet.

Barndo Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well is has been a minute since an update but that will change now. We had almost 3 weeks straight of rain that began a few days after my building was dropped off. I had another thread about warning folks not to deal with Reeds Metal. Once I got the material opened up and sorted I found that they didn’t send near enough perlin to erect a quality building (which is what I was told I was getting) Recap on that is they did not stand behind what they sold me and I spent more money with another vendor to get what I needed to make it right.

Got the building started then took off to Colorado for an elk hunt with one of my brothers and a friend. Had several close encounters with bulls, 2 which were well over 300” but couldn’t make it happen. Ended up taking a cow on the last morning (my first big game animal with a bow).

Build was completed the week after I got back and we are finally rolling. Ordered my lumber yesterday and it will be delivered after lunch today. I will start framing tomorrow evening and hope to have the downstairs walls up by the end of the weekend if I can recruit a helper or two. I.E. my kids and my oldest daughters boyfriend.

I’ll throw a few pics in and will try to update weekly as I am pretty much in control of the rest of this project.

Comment

Here are some pics
      Attached Files

Comment

Looks like y’all are gona have a nice little spot ����

Comment

Congrats on the harvest. Looks like it was a beautiful hunt for you guys.

And glad to see you got the building up despite the headache from chasing after parts.

Comment

Got the framing started on Saturday so I finally feel like I'm getting something accomplished. It went well as a whole just slower than I would have liked. Saturday it was just myself and my 13yo son and I took my time to teach him everything that I could so he will have this skill set in his bag of talents as he grows up.

I decided to frame the exterior walls into the building framing an that proved to be a challenge because of the slight sag in the metal wall girts. I think its worth it thought to gain the square footage and beef up the building structure. Couldn't get the top edge to go in on the Master Bedroom wall so I had to pull my Ranger in there so I could stand on the roof and coax it in with a clamp and 2lb dead blow. My goal for the weekend was to have the downstairs framed up but I was a day short on time. I'll head back out there this evening to work on it some more.
            Attached Files

Comment

Very cool, enjoy the process.

Comment

Looking good man!

Comment

Weekend #2

Had a pretty weekend that included some help from my brother and one of my best friends for around 6hours on Saturday and brother again on Sunday for 4 more. Made a few adjustments on wall location and closet for the master bedroom but that didn't slow it down too bad. Had some of my sons move lumber around again, I think I might do it one or two more times just to aggravate them again and hear "Dad, why do we have to keep moving this stuff around." Shut things down a little early yesterday to clean things back up because it was looking a little rough for my liking. I was able to layout and get the first support post in place so that will allow me to get everything situated to start setting beams and a stairway for the upstairs rooms. I have 4 day weekend planned for this coming weekend so hopefully I will complete the framing and start on plumbing/electrical.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Man I like the looks of that building. Congrats on the property and making memories.

Comment

Weekend Report

I was able to get some more done on the house this weekend. On Friday my brother was off work so I was able to get some of the heavy lifting done and out of the way. I laid out my post locations and set them before he got there and once he arrived we built and hung the LVL load beams.

I spent the rest of the weekend without help (kids were there but not much help this weekend) so I worked on cutting floor joists, hanging and attaching them on Saturday.

Then I only worked about 6 hours the rest of the weekend so all that I got accomplished was building my stair stringers and getting the staircase put up. I will try and get some blocking put in on the floor joists tomorrow evening so that this Saturday I can start putting the flood decking down and maybe get a wall or two up by the end of the weekend. Stay tuned!
                      Attached Files

Comment

looking good man. The build talent some of the people on this site have is awesome. i would never have the cahones to attempt to build my own house, but enjoy watching yall

Comment

Thanks......I wouldn't call it talent or cahones though. It's more of an I'm a glutton for punishment and like hear my wife ask me why aren't you finished yet!

I actual enjoy it and am blessed to have been taught just enough to get myself in trouble with building houses as I grew up. I also saw it as an opportunity to teach my knuckleheads along the way as well.

Comment

Barndo looks good. Where'd you find the building kit?

Comment

Originally posted by NS2110 View Post
                              Barndo looks good. Where'd you find the building kit?
                              Reed’s metal. DO NOT USE THEM! I had to add additional components to get it reasonably sturdy and and lost a foot of sidewall clearance because they didn’t cut the sheeting long enough and refused to make it right. They told me to just use bigger trim which is not acceptable so I had to modify the building to work with what I had.

I will be using either Mueller or Steel Building supply for the main house when I build it.

Comment

Man thia will be a cool project!

Comment

Working...
                                X