No announcement yet.

Elk Trailer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got the tailgate and trim installed. Fenders and side trim are painted, just need a couple hours to get them installed. Then the trailer lights can be installed.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	20220621_192457.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	258.8 KB
ID:	24686526

Comment

Originally posted by TX Fireman 911 View Post
      how did you paint the trailer. I have almost the exact same trailer that needs a paint job and the roof coated as well. Any help on this would be great! Thanks
      We wire-wheeled / 80grit all the non-painted aluminum. Then used an etching primer on those areas and let it cure for a few days.

Then painted sheetmetal got scotchbrite maroon ( general purpose ) and some heavy elbow grease. You just dont want to have any shiny areas. Washed everything down really well with Dawn soap. Let it dry for a day, went back and hit any exposed metal lightly with the scuff pad and covered it with a coat of the primer.

Prior to painting, wiped everything down with acetone really good.

I used https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/pr...ion-gray-1-gal
      and https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/pr...-half-1-2-pint

I like thinning rustoleum with acetone but you can use reducer if you want. I use a gravity feed paint gun ( you can get the throw away kind at Harbor Freight for $20 )
      or you can just paint brush and roll it. Rustoleum is pretty easy to work with and flows nicely either way. It will be tacky for about 6 hours so plan accordingly
      Last edited by Traildust; 06-23-2022, 09:52 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
        Are you gonna pimp out the inside with racks/shelves/beds/chili pepper lights/etc?
        Oh ya....gotta have a little bling! John is tasked with all that. He has an off-grid fish camp, so he's got the knowledge on the electrical stuff

Comment

Cleaned to roof really well with bleach water, then dawn and water. Sanded and rust and hit it with an etching primer. Let it dry for a couple days. Removed any loose caulking and re-sealed it with https://www.homedepot.com/p/Henry-10...9004/100034161

and then rolled an entire gallon of this on

Tape of any area you don't want coated, I had hell removing a couple spots that got over-rolled.

Comment

ELK Trailer

Elk Trailer moving right along.

Comment

Trim, fenders mounted up and road ready. All the light housings cleaned, renewed and riveted back into place.

Name:	20220625_111504.jpg
Size:	257.4 KB
ID:	24686626

Name:	20220627_074917.jpg
Size:	125.0 KB
ID:	24686627

Name:	20220627_074933.jpg
Size:	135.0 KB
ID:	24686628

Just gotta mount the tail-lights and install all the new LED bulbs and it's almost ready for a little road trip!

Oh......and some much needed graphics!

Comment

put a rubber grommet or something to keep that wire from rubbing and shorting out where in runs inside the trailer

Comment

Originally posted by powderburner View Post
                  put a rubber grommet or something to keep that wire from rubbing and shorting out where in runs inside the trailer
                  Yes....ordered yesterday with some casing and sealant

Comment

I hope those tires have enough clearance from the fenders, been on some rough azzed roads in the mountains that might be an issue if there is a lot of travel on that spring setup.
                    Looks great though. Fold down bunks on the walls would work well and not take up lots of space.

Comment

Originally posted by wytex View Post
                      I hope those tires have enough clearance from the fenders, been on some rough azzed roads in the mountains that might be an issue if there is a lot of travel on that spring setup.
                      Looks great though. Fold down bunks on the walls would work well and not take up lots of space.
                      We're good.....load tested it and shouldn't be an issue. Prolly a little over sprung

Comment

While designed around the M416, these fenders are universal fit with do it yourself in mind. The flange on the rear side allows lots of mounting options.

I ordered these fenders for an overlander trailer I have been building. Coated with Linex and mounted. They are sturdy and a great shelf. Just an idea. Good looking trailer.

Comment

Originally posted by Parramore View Post
                          https://www.offroadelements.com/offr...tary-trailers/

I ordered these fenders for an overlander trailer I have been building. Coated with Linex and mounted. They are sturdy and a great shelf. Just an idea. Good looking trailer.
                          Those look good. We'll prolly build a set next year with rub rails out of tubing.

We are running out of time ( got a list of other projects & honey-do's ) and at at our budget for this year too!

Post up some pics of your trailer!

Comment

It used to be a construction road sign. Replaced the axel with a 3500lb rated one and then put some big tires on it. Just need to get some better rims. It's small but helps me move the family of 5 pretty much anywhere.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Parramore View Post
                              It used to be a construction road sign. Replaced the axel with a 3500lb rated one and then put some big tires on it. Just need to get some better rims. It's small but helps me move the family of 5 pretty much anywhere.
                              That's a sweet little rig!

Comment

Love the build. We have kicked around the idea but haven’t justified it yet. Another year and maybe so

Comment

Working...
                                X