Sako 85 Finnlight sticky stock refinish

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sako 85 Finnlight sticky stock refinish

Had a 300 win mag that suffered from the stick stock. Had the SoundTouch paint that went gummy and almost stuck to your hands worse than a nfl players gloves and a football.

At this point I had 2 options, refinish or purchase a new one. After much searching the webs for a new one, it seems I was down to fierce or McMillan for sourcing and didn’t want to wait. So it left me with the refinish. I used rubbing alcohol and a Brillo pad to remove the old soufttouch paint. It gummed the pad and towels up with a black glue like material.

After a few hours I had it off but looked a bit rough from all the scrubbing, so now it was time to paint. So got it taped off and prepped. Decided on Krylon Fusion Spanish Moss with a silver webbing (purchased a while back).

Now it was off to the shop!! After a few coats of green and some webbing, I got carried away, but no undo button. Then I finished it off with a bunch of coats of flat clear to top it off.

Got it all done, dried and not time to remove the paint and remount the action.

Overall, I am very please how it turned out and hopefully it holds up to some abuse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great job! Looks fantastic

Comment

good job

Comment

Nice! I did my 85 Finnlight with a chalk gray. But still not happy with it. I’ll be dropping the action into a Fierce stock at some point.

Comment

Originally posted by canny View Post
          Nice! I did my 85 Finnlight with a chalk gray. But still not happy with it. I’ll be dropping the action into a Fierce stock at some point.

I was thinking that, but if go through that expense night see about rebarreling for something threaded for a suppressor. Not sure who would be the best for that work.

Comment

Originally posted by bmac View Post
            I was thinking that, but if go through that expense night see about rebarreling for something threaded for a suppressor. Not sure who would be the best for that work.

I had mine threaded and a brake out on last year

Comment

Originally posted by canny View Post
              I had mine threaded and a brake out on last year

Where did you have that done and what brake? Factory barrel?

Comment

Factory barrel, had the brake done by Randy Fite out of Richards, TX. There’s enough wall to do a 1/2”x28 thread.

Comment

Hard to tell due to being zoomed in so much but it’s a spiral brake.

Comment

Rifle looks great. I dont think you over did it at all.

Next time you try and take that off do yourself a favor and spray oven cleaner on it very liberally and let it soak for an hour. Will take you about 2 minutes to get it all off. Very easy to do.

Had a 300 win mag that suffered from the stick stock. Had the SoundTouch paint that went gummy and almost stuck to your hands worse than a nfl players gloves and a football.

At this point I had 2 options, refinish or purchase a new one. After much searching the webs for a new one, it seems I was down to fierce or McMillan for sourcing and didn’t want to wait. So it left me with the refinish. I used rubbing alcohol and a Brillo pad to remove the old soufttouch paint. It gummed the pad and towels up with a black glue like material.

After a few hours I had it off but looked a bit rough from all the scrubbing, so now it was time to paint. So got it taped off and prepped. Decided on Krylon Fusion Spanish Moss with a silver webbing (purchased a while back).

Now it was off to the shop!! After a few coats of green and some webbing, I got carried away, but no undo button. Then I finished it off with a bunch of coats of flat clear to top it off.

Got it all done, dried and not time to remove the paint and remount the action.

Overall, I am very please how it turned out and hopefully it holds up to some abuse.

Comment

Looks great, very nice work.

Comment

Looks good, I have a Sako A7 that needs the stock re-done

Comment

Not the scope I was wanting but the optilock rings were to far apart for my other Leupold and didn’t want to buy new ones.

Comment

Working...
                          X