Muzzleloader reclamation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Muzzleloader reclamation

Picked up a Thompson Center Hawken 50 cal that was in ok shape & looks like it was a kit gun.

Well the person who assembled it stained the wood nicely but did it with the brass still on it. So not only was the brass tarnished but had a film on the surface that was truly difficult to remove.

The nipple for the firing cap was rusted in and once I got it off the cavity below was full of corrosion. At this moment I started to wonder if it was still loaded!?!?

Then once I started running cleaning patches down the barrel I soon realized there was excessive corrosion there too.

I gave it a hot soapy bath & then gently brushed 30-40 oiled patches down the barrel.

I’m about 98% satisfied with it at the moment.

Looking forward to seeing how it shoots next weekend.

The condition of the barrel is your biggest worry. Your work looks real nice though.

Comment

Yes agree
      I feel like the bore cleaned up quickly & felt smooth after that many patches

Comment

I have one of those, in 50 cal. I have not shot it in probably 10 years.

Comment

They’re fun to shoot

Comment

Had to do that to a 45 cal, still had powder(mixed with oil?) in the barrel. Finally might be able to shoot it this weekend.

Comment

How difficult was it to extract the bullet?

Comment

Nice rifle, great job on “after” pics, report back how it shoots, good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by 32drawlength View Post
                  How difficult was it to extract the bullet?
                  It kind of sucks. You put a ball puller on the ram rod that screws into the ball. Then try to pull it out of the barrel. Let me dig around, I should have one.

I went through a lot of trouble to make mine look old and here you go making one look pretty.
                  Last edited by Goldeneagle; 02-15-2022, 07:31 AM.

Comment

You can also get a grease fitting to screw in the nipple hole and use a grease gun to push the old stuck bullet out.

Comment

Very nice

Comment

Originally posted by Gerald G View Post
                        You can also get a grease fitting to screw in the nipple hole and use a grease gun to push the old stuck bullet out.
                        I like this.

Comment

Dang good ideas [emoji362]

After spending more time on the MZ last night & a good light, I determined it’s NOT loaded thankfully

Comment

I ha e always liked the looks of the Hawkins. Very good work it looks very nicely done.

Comment

Originally posted by Gerald G View Post
                              When someone on the range forgot the powder and ran a ball down, we would take the nipple out and dribble some powder into the breach. You could get just enough to put the nipple back in and pop a cap and "unload" it.

Comment

Working...
                              X