Tacoma Safari Rack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tacoma Safari Rack

So my wife and kids have taken to coming out to the lease with me, which I love. And at her prompting, I am going to turn my old '98 Tacoma into a "safari style" lease truck. The old Tacoma has 300k miles on it and is doing great. I don't ever want to get rid of it, but this sounds like a fun 2nd (or 3rd) life for it to live!

I found some old school bus seats (with seat belts) and I am planning to build a rack that bolts onto the existing bed rails that the bus seats are welded on to. If all goes well, it should cost me only the bolts since I have some scrap of appropriate size and gauge laying around from previous projects and the bus seats were free.

Once I figure out how to post photos (I'm sure there is a thread on it somewhere) I will get photos posted. Trying to work a little each evening after the little ones are off to bed.

Tagged. love these

Comment

Here is one of the seats and a mock up of what it will look like.
      Attached Files

Comment

Heck yeah! Awesome!

Comment

So I got the frame laid out and roughed in today. Used 1/4 angle iron to attach to the existing bed rail and bed with some 3/8 inch bolts. Then ran a piece of 1/4 thick square tubing across for support and dropped some legs down to the bed. I am just using a little 110v welder for tack welds and will run the rig into a buddy's shop for a real weld up one afternoon soon. Then wire wheel, wipe down and paint. Hopefully have it all done by the weekend!
          Attached Files

Comment

What are you going to do for the suspension to hold the weight?

When I throw 3-400lbs of corn in the bed of mine, I’d I hit a bump, I some times rub tires in the fenders.

One day I’ll redo mine.

Comment

I've never had a problem with tires rubbing the fenders under a load. Sometimes it will bottom down, but I don't anticipate that to be an issue at the speeds I intend to travel. Our roads are in pretty good shape on the lease and this is for casual cruising with my wife and kids.

Hoping to get into the shop tomorrow to finish the welding, clean the metal, paint it and get the seats mounted. After that, all that is lacking will be the cup holders!

Comment

Great idea, nice project and a good to give that Senior Tacoma another life, good luck.

Comment

Definitely good idea

Comment

That's gonna be sweet!

Comment

So I have the frame welded, painted and installed. We took it for a spin around the neighborhood yesterday and it was a big hit with the wife and kids. Now she wants some armrests and cup holders. So stay tuned!
                      Attached Files

Comment

Take the tailgate off, and build them a step that goes into the receiver hitch. Then she will love you forever!

Comment

Originally posted by Palmetto View Post
                          Take the tailgate off, and build them a step that goes into the receiver hitch. Then she will love you forever!
                          Great idea to go along with those armrests and cup holders.

Comment

That is a great idea! I will add that on the list!

Comment

Nice!

Comment

Working...
                              X