Persian Kard WIP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Persian Kard WIP

I’ve had this twist damascus blade sitting there waiting on a round tuit for three years at least. Finally putting it together into a knife that’s reminiscent of the Persian kard knife. This one gets a frame handle and camel bone. I am building it takedown construction so the engraver can take it apart and do her thing. I’ll have it together this month, and then to the engraver for completion by Blade Show in Atlanta in June.

Couple of Persian examples first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

85 layer twist damascus blade, about 7” long but barely 3/4” tall.

Giraffe bone. Kind of a pain to cut and grind down for scales, but should look a lot like ivory when I’m done.

Comment

Big solid front guard, and a frame handle and butt both out of 3/16. All are 416 stainless. Doing it this way gives the engraver plenty of room to work.

Comment

Scales from the giraffe leg.

Comment

I bet that’s gonna look great. Looking forward to seeing the final build.

Comment

Fitting takes a lot of trial and error. I fit it all up blocky.

Angled rear makes the fitting go a lot easier.

Comment

Great looking project, will be fun to follow your build on this.

Comment

Handle shaping completed. Lots of boring polishing I won’t show you. I’ll take all the fittings to 600 grit.

The whole thing is held together by a stainless Corby bolt. Good tight joint between the bolt and hole. Because this one is destined for engraving, doing it this way allows the knife to be taken apart for better access to the fittings.

Comment

Cool build for sure. Where does one score a giraffe bone ???

Comment

Had a taxidermist guy who also hunted Africa want me to make him a knife out of his giraffe leg trophy. This knife is from the leftovers.

Comment

Found this cool link to the Met museum page. Lots of historical examples.

Comment

Originally posted by Jason Fry View Post
                        Had a taxidermist guy who also hunted Africa want me to make him a knife out of his giraffe leg trophy. This knife is from the leftovers.
                        Cool, didnt figure there many free range giraffes running around Lubbock County.

Comment

High fence giraffes are easier to hunt lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Jason Fry View Post
                            High fence giraffes are easier to hunt lol.
                            Checked in on your progress and it’s looking great, this will be beautiful when finished. Also, something about a “high fence giraffe” just is funny for me to picture.

Comment

Takes a real tall high fence for those long legged suckers lol.

Here’s a pic of the whole thing polished and put together. All I lack for now is a quick touchup on the blade and then ferric chloride etch.

Unfortunately this weekend my ferric wasn’t cooperating… a little too solid.

May get er done this weekend. Been planning the sheath on this one in the “tip and throat” style. Never done one, but looking at it it should take at least a day, maybe two when I get around to it.

Comment

Working...
                              X