Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chew.
    What was the final count for hatching?
    I just got thru incubating 60 eggs and only got 22 to hatch.
    Had the temp. at 99.5 and humidity mid 40s. Bumped up to 60 at lock down.

I checked the temp. with another pyrometer. It was right on. Didn't have anything to check the humidity accuracy.

Comment

Originally posted by breese View Post
      Chew.
      What was the final count for hatching?
      I just got thru incubating 60 eggs and only got 22 to hatch.
      Had the temp. at 99.5 and humidity mid 40s. Bumped up to 60 at lock down.

I checked the temp. with another pyrometer. It was right on. Didn't have anything to check the humidity accuracy.
      We got 38 out of 60. Lost two within a few days. 36 bigguns now. We ordered 50 eggs and they sent 60. Hopefully hatch rate will be higher with out own eggs.

Comment

Originally posted by Chew View Post
        We got 38 out of 60. Lost two within a few days. 36 bigguns now. We ordered 50 eggs and they sent 60. Hopefully hatch rate will be higher with out own eggs.

Did yo let them sit a day or two before putting them in the incubator? For me Ot seemed to help my hatch rate .

Comment

Originally posted by Strummer View Post
          Did yo let them sit a day or two before putting them in the incubator? For me Ot seemed to help my hatch rate .
          Yes. 1 day

Comment

Originally posted by Strummer View Post
            Some of mine set for several days as I like to fill my incubator. 120 eggs. I averaged about 60% hatch last year. Gonna go with more cocks this year.

Comment

I wound up with a 50% hatch rate.
              I guess not too bad for shipped eggs.

Comment

Little update video...

Comment

Looking good. And calm too.

Comment

Well...had a casualty this morning. Wife was messing with the quail water and one flew out. My catahoula killed it with one snap. It's now marinating in fajita seasoning in the fridge (the quail...not the dog). Dog is in time out.

Comment

Dang! For a second I figured you were going to eat the dog!

Those suckers got big quick!!

Comment

Originally posted by Pedernal View Post
                        Dang! For a second I figured you were going to eat the dog!

Those suckers got big quick!!
                        Yes sir. After I calmed down I realized the dog was just being a dog. She is definitely not a retriever.. but a killer.

Yes those Quail have grown so fast that it's almost unbelievable. They should be dropping eggs in no time!

Comment

Pretty darn cool!

Comment

If your neighbor had bird dogs, would they ever move, or just stay on point 24/7?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                              If your neighbor had bird dogs, would they ever move, or just stay on point 24/7?

Good question! The male quail (roosters) are starting to make all kinds of noise. They are tormenting poor daisy!

Comment

Enjoying the updates. Keep them coming. Raising them is really fun.

Been a while since I had birds. I built a simple table top incubator and incubated a couple of dozen eggs. Strangest hatch I’ve ever had- one popped early this AM, and they have been tricking out all day. Past hatches were more synchronized and chaotic. Was hoping for a 50% hatch rate this go, need a few late bloomers.

Comment

Working...
                                X