No announcement yet.

Let's raise some quail!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Made some quick homemade quail feeders. 3-in PVC with 2 in holes. Allows them to stick their head in and eat without making as much mess as a regular open style feeder.

The fears are smaller on the first two levels because we will only have one rooster and five or six hens in each level. The bottom will be the extras that are going to freezer camp.

According to Amazon my parts for my watering system will be here tomorrow. I'm going to use a 5/16 tubing like I do with my rabbit cages. But the actual waterer in the cage will be PVC with some threaded tees and some horizontal poultry nipples.

Comment

Those work pretty good . I used ziplock containers with holes drilled in them . I think the pipe works better but harder to fill up .

Comment

Originally posted by Strummer View Post
        Those work pretty good . I used ziplock containers with holes drilled in them . I think the pipe works better but harder to fill up .
        I thought about using the container but trying to take up as little room as possible. I have them where I can easily rotate the pipe with the holes pointing straight up, pour in the feet, and then rotate it back down at the proper angle.

Comment

Auto watering system built today. Came out nice.

Comment

Little video showing the watering system...

Comment

Originally posted by Chew View Post
              Little video showing the watering system...

https://youtu.be/3RndrinvlrQ

Nice touch of class with the Texas flag logo. Thems quails is born in Texas. And grown here. Kinda like me.

Tie that bucket into a rain collection system, and reduce your fill rate (as long as you get some rain now and then).

Comment

I just looked back at my post last year and I got my first spring egg on Feb 15 so it shouldn't be long now. You should be close behind Chew with your younger birds. Great fun and excitement.

Comment

Ice work Señor Chew! How big are the quail supposed to be when they are ready for freezer camp??

Comment

Originally posted by Pedernal View Post
                    Ice work Señor Chew! How big are the quail supposed to be when they are ready for freezer camp??
                    I think these jumbo Quail get up to 11 to 14 Oz. The regular are 3-6 oz

Comment

Was working on the pens today and a celadon cock was crowing so eggs will be coming soon.

Comment

Looks like a professional operation you got there.

Comment

Man you’re gonna be sitting pretty by the time you retire!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Cut a hole in the side so you can fill up the food without opening up the cage. makes life easier.

Comment

Originally posted by powderburner View Post
                              Cut a hole in the side so you can fill up the food without opening up the cage. makes life easier.
                              My wife is retired and has plenty of time to open cage doors LOL. Don't really want to cut a hole in the wire until I know for sure what kind of feeders I'm going to have.

Comment

I like the feed and watering system.

Comment

Working...
                                X