Let's raise some quail!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Walker View Post
    I've got 3 of them and they all were set at 100. That's probably why I get such early and drawn out hatches. I got a good thermometer and calibrated them all to 99.5 but the laying season was over. I'll see what happens this season.
    Let me know. I put in a cheapie thermometer/hygrometer in the bottom. Temp was dead on but humidity is reading a lot higher on the one I put in there

Comment

Do you let them all hatch before removing any?

Comment

Originally posted by doghouse View Post
        This is my first time but from what I've read and watched I'll pull them at about 24 hours so they've had plenty of time to dry out and then put them in the brooder.

I'll leave the incubator on for the unhatched eggs and see if any of them hatch in the next day or so.

Comment

10 or so hours here. Quail chicks don't have the reserve yoke sacks like chickens and they get hungry. May be right or wrong. Just the way I do it.

Comment

Good hatch rate for shipped eggs! Hopefully you get a few stragglers. Just make sure they are dry before moving them. I wouldn't leave longer than 24 hours for sure. In the brooder, watching the chicks is the most important thing for the first few days. If they are tightly piled under the lamp- too cold. If they are pinned around the walls, to hot. Quail do stupid things sometimes- like piling up in the coldest corner away from the lamp.

It seems like they double in size every day. Keep posting pics, this is a cool project.

Comment

Awesome thread thanks for posting…

Comment

I'm loving this thread.

Comment

The lil chick,
                  got some kick.

(in the first vid)

Congrats on all the new offspring Chew! You're never to old to be a Daddy again.

Comment

I'm loving this thread.
                    X2, great way to start the New Year off on TBH, nothing but smiles reading these posts.

Comment

Thanks for all the comments guys. Here they are getting moved from the incubator to the brooder container. The one that can't stand up in the bottom left corner is probably not going to make it. My daughter is trying to help him along but he can't stand up.

I have another video with them eating and drinking under the heat lamp but I'm having some technical difficulties.

Comment

Here's a video of them in the brooder all set up.

Comment

Nice setup

Comment

I've had a few chicks drown in the water cup. This little one is what I use for at least a few days.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Dumb question but I'll ask. Why the screen wire on top? I'm just trying to learn.

Comment

Well I was going to set the heating lamp on top of that but it was too close. That allowed me something to rest it on. I was also going to have the brooder in the house and we have cats and a dog so I wanted to snap on the lid. So they needed a way to get air. With it being in the garage I could probably just take the lid off.

Comment

Working...
                                X