DIY Cabin build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hix View Post
    Building this 16x32 on my family land in Lodi, Tx. Have a small hunting cabin there now but I’m ready to have something nice the family can enjoy. I’ll update as progress happens.

Last days off i went out and worked 2-1/2 days getting the foundation done.

(36) 4x6 piers cemented in place and doubled up 2x6x16 treated beams. Then 2x6x16 joist 16” OC

Braced the joist before i left out for work. Will be back in a few weeks to install the sub floor and start framing walls.

Dug 12 with post hole diggers then decided to borrow a gas auger! Post are 4’ OC and beams are 5.33’ spaced

String line leveled post. Cut off with a chain saw and added beams. Ended up with in a few 1/100th of an inch of being perfectly square. (35.77’) I’ll take it and the 3/4” T&G decking will be true.

Screws a ripped 2x6 down the middle to keep the joist aligned till I can install some blocking.

Pretty much got plans finalized, I drew them on excel. Will frame a 8x32 porch off the front with 5 natural cedar tree post.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I haven't read all the posts yet, looks great and I'm looking forward to seeing the rest of the post. One thing that stood out. Why not have an extra bathroom for the spare room, OR, put the bathroom outside of the Master Bedroom so others don't have to come into the Master Bedroom to use the bathroom?

Just a thought.

Comment

ha, never mind!!!

Well done!

Comment

Originally posted by ATI View Post
        I haven't read all the posts yet, looks great and I'm looking forward to seeing the rest of the post. One thing that stood out. Why not have an extra bathroom for the spare room, OR, put the bathroom outside of the Master Bedroom so others don't have to come into the Master Bedroom to use the bathroom?

Just a thought.

I messed around with plans that had access to the bathroom from the living/kitchen area but the spare room won’t get used much.
        It’s for my only kid when she’s out there with me & the room doubles as a laundry room, so there wasn’t room for her a 1/2 bath.
        It’ll be fine.

Comment

Originally posted by kylebryan View Post
          Cabin looks great man! Any pictures of the inside yet?

It’s still just framing, as soon as i wrap up the outside I’ll start wiring, plumbing and insulate it then i can start the finish work inside.

Comment

DIY Cabin build

Finished the west wall, started on the east side. 1-2 more days and the walls will be done, then I can jump on the front porch.

Last edited by Hix; 02-11-2022, 06:08 PM.

Comment

Awesome job!! Are you coating the siding boards??

Comment

Originally posted by Pedernal View Post
                Awesome job!! Are you coating the siding boards??

Thanks, not yet. Going to let them dry completely & weather a little bit. I’ll spray the entire thing this summer with a clear sealer.

Comment

Looking good!

Comment

One more side done, started on the front and took measurements to pick up the front porch materials. Getting closer to moving to the inside!

Comment

Starting to all come together now. Looking great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

strong work!

Comment

Thanks, not yet. Going to let them dry completely & weather a little bit. I’ll spray the entire thing this summer with a clear sealer.

I bet those will look awesome once weather and sealed! Good plan. Keep the pics coming.

Comment

DIY Cabin build

Wrapped up what I could on the front this morning. I’ll be running a 1x4 toe kick board on top of the deck so I wont install those battens untill the decks done and that 1x4 is ran flush on top.

Front door came stained… going to strip it and refinish it natural with a satin clear. Haven’t decided on the ugly white door jamb.
                            May paint it a natural wood color and then a light gel stain or just satin black like the windows and hardware.

Comment

Wrapped up what I could on the front this morning. I’ll be running a 1x4 toe kick board on top of the deck so I wont install those battens untill the decks done and that 1x4 is ran flush on top.

Front door came stained… going to strip it and refinish it natural with a satin clear. Haven’t decided on the ugly white door jamb.
                              May paint it a natural wood color and then a light gel stain or just satin black like the windows and hardware.

Just go black like the widows for the door jamb. It will look sharp.

Whole project is looking great.

Comment

Originally posted by Gclyde28 View Post
                                Just go black like the widows for the door jamb. It will look sharp.

Whole project is looking great.

I Prob will, I can paint some pretty good fake wood grain though. If I don’t like it black will be better last resort choice.

Comment

Working...
                                X