Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

200 Square Foot Tiny Workshop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My dad came down over the weekend to help with framing. I was extremely thankful to have him there, as we knocked a lot out! We've built things together over the years - deer blinds, decks, boat upgrades - but nothing to this level. It went fairly smooth (I did slip with the razor saw, cutting bird's mouths, and will have a nice little scar from that one), and I have an ideal point to continue working on my own as time allows.

My next video showing all this work will go live later today, so I will post that link so you can see the work in real time (sorta).

Comment

For the long run, I would have used treated 2x4’s for the bottom plate and a foam seal but other than that it’s looking good.

Comment

Originally posted by sendit View Post
        For the long run, I would have used treated 2x4’s for the bottom plate and a foam seal but other than that it’s looking good.
        Yeah, I got that advice after it was all up (I should have known beforehand), so I went back and treated the bottom plate as best I could. I also bought some heavy duty sealant to "caulk" between the board and the concrete that I'll put on before I start sheathing.

Comment

looking great! following

Comment

We got things all framed up this week on the 200 square foot tiny workshop.

Check out the new episode!
            https://youtu.be/giCkezypnM0

Enjoy!

Comment

Doing a Great job man! with the build and the videos

Comment

Originally posted by Matthewc131 View Post
                Doing a Great job man! with the build and the videos
                Thank you!

Comment

Very nice! The best part is that you got your dad with ya!

Comment

Originally posted by Hogmauler View Post
                    X2

Agree 100% with Hogmauler, nice build and even better that dad helped you with it.

Comment

Going good, nice work

Comment

Originally posted by Hogmauler View Post
                        Absolutely! He's my hunting buddy, too, though I don't get to see him as often now that we moved to the coast. We enjoy taking on projects together, and I cherish learning from him (and in some cases, teaching him new things).

Comment

I didn't get near as much "big" stuff done this week, but the workshop is coming along. I built the end gables, and reinforced them across the rafters with 2x4 straps.

Putting the OSB roof sheathing on by myself was a challenge, but by the time I finished, I had developed a workable strategy. About halfway through, I found myself stuck on a ladder, holding the 4x8 sheet in place, with nothing to secure it. I tried calling my wife (who was in the house) but her phone was off. I got it figured out, but I definitely learned some lessons on preparation with that one.

Finally, I was seeing some pretty extreme frame racking, so I broke down and bought some OSB (for $45/sheet ) and reinforced the corners. It's back to level, and rock-solid now!

It's really starting to look like something now, and I have a better feel for the final space. I think it will do nicely for my purposes.

I'll post the next video link below.

Comment

This episode is a little longer - lots to cover with building the eave frames and reinforcing them, sheathing the roof, and adding the OSB corners.

Check out Episode 3:
                            https://youtu.be/GZ7xGCzB-hw

Comment

I was cringing seeing roof decking go on with no wall bracing![emoji51][emoji51]

You need to get the rest of your wall sheathing on pretty soon. You now have a parachute, and that’s sketchy this time of year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                                I was cringing seeing roof decking go on with no wall bracing![emoji51][emoji51]

You need to get the rest of your wall sheathing on pretty soon. You now have a parachute, and that’s sketchy this time of year.
                                Great insight! Let me ask - should i put more focus on sheathing the rest of the walls, or getting the roofing finalized? I don't want the roof OSB to get ruined if we get a bunch of rain. Thoughts?

Comment

Working...
                                X