X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How long should it dry?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I’m currently staining my fence with Ready Seal. It’s been very simple to spray out of my power stainer and easy to clean up. I pressure washed all of my fence and let it dry really good and it’s soaking up the Ready Seal extremely good...I’m actually using a lot more product than I expected but I figure that just means the boards will last even longer. I’m using the Burned Hickory and ordering it in 5 gallon pails from Home Depot and it delivers to my door the next day for $131

Comment

Originally posted by FLASH_OUTDOORS View Post

How long should it dry?

I would definitely let it dry until it’s more of its natural color especially if you are going to use a colored stain. I replaced some pine fence pickets on my fence that are in a corner that can’t be seen and went ahead and stained them and they are basically black compared to the rest of the fence that is a dark brown.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Dspivey View Post

Beat me to it, such a great video.

Comment

I also say thanks for info

Comment

Got the wall up! Time to let it dry out. Moisture meter coming in the mail tomorrow

Comment

Huemiller

Comment

We use IPE oil for commercial benches, decks, etc. That product is recommended by the builder.

Comment

Check out Wooddefender.com! They have stains for fences and for decks - BEST Quality STAIN available.

Comment

Comment

I stain fences and decks as part of my business. Best stain from a big box would be ready seal. However, it is about 50% mineral spirits so you are not getting as much oil as you would with Wood defender. Probably the best stain on the market right now is Stain and Seal Experts out of Nashville. There are almost no solvents in this stain so you are getting more oils and pigment which is what gives you protection. Make sure your moisture content is below 13-14% for best results.

Comment

Another note: For longevity, buy the formulation specifically for decks not a universal formula.

Comment

Solids or semi-transparent stains/paints should be avoided. The trick is to thoroughly clean it beforehand. I'd recommend an oil-based stain (which you won't be able to find at your local Home Depot). Oil-based transparent stains like Cetol SRD/Dek and TWP are excellent. I've seen enough chipped semi and solid stains/paint to know that reapplying is a pain. You'll get a few years out of an oil-based transparent stain, and reapplication will be much simpler with a light washing.

Comment

Originally posted by fkkhan View Post
                                Solids or semi-transparent stains/paints should be avoided. The trick is to thoroughly clean it beforehand. I'd recommend an oil-based stain (which you won't be able to find at your local Home Depot). Oil-based transparent stains like Cetol SRD/Dek and TWP are excellent. I've seen enough chipped semi and solid stains/paint to know that reapplying is a pain. You'll get a few years out of an oil-based transparent stain, and reapplication will be much simpler with a light washing.

Ready seal is oil based I thought? I will do some more research.

Comment

Working...
                                X