Water heater help needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You should drain them annually.
    Texas16, you're livin' on borrowed time before a disastrous mess. Check them for rusting bottoms and get ready to replace.

Comment

Originally posted by Olphart View Post
      You should drain them annually.
      Texas16, you're livin' on borrowed time before a disastrous mess. Check them for rusting bottoms and get ready to replace.
      I figured I was way overdue. Biggest reason I have avoided draining them is that one is in a closet in my wifes "photo studio" and there is a ton of stuff around it in that closet that I dont want to mess with. Guess I better suck it up and take care of them before I have a huge mess.

Comment

I flushed mine monday. When I opened the valve it just dripped. Pulled the top off of the valve and solid white chunks. Used the air compressor with a small end nozzle, stuck it as far as it would go and pulled the trigger. When I pulled it out, I realized I should have been wearing my Frog Toggs and rubber boots.. Repeated this numerous times until it started draining. Turned the water back on and finally no "rocks". Couldn't believe the crud that came out of it.

Comment

Update

I tried the method of using air, about 40#’s. Took about two or three blasts and she opened right up and started flowing. Just a heads up if anyone else ever has this issue.

Comment

Originally posted by White Falcon View Post
            Easy fix..... I use my air compressor to blow air in the drain. It will unclog it. I would be thinking about purchasing another water heater.
            This. I had to do it everytime I drained mine when I was well water.

Comment

Originally posted by Gus View Post
              Update

I tried the method of using air, about 40#’s. Took about two or three blasts and she opened right up and started flowing. Just a heads up if anyone else ever has this issue.
              Well then, its obvious I didn't read the whole thread before I posted

Comment

My suggestion is to close down the warmer and colder valves on the top and shut down the gas (use the knob on the water heater itself if available). Place a hose on the drain valve of a drainage tank. Open the valve slowly until Around 1 or 2 gallons per minute have reached a gentle but steady stream rate.

Comment

Our old house didn’t have a water softener, so we got terrible amounts of hard water deposits. Each year, I would drain it. Then I would take it out to the driveway and remove both heating elements. I’d run the garden hose in the top one and tip it on its side to let the water and deposits flush out the bottom one. I did it this way, because the bigger chunks wouldn’t flow through the drain valve. I’d also have to bottom heating element hole with a bent clothes hanger to break up the deposits. I’m sure this prolonged the life, as it was almost 20 years old when we moved.

Comment

Working...
                  X