Need Fabrication Advice Joey, Dale Etc.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need Fabrication Advice Joey, Dale Etc.

My buddy and I recently bought 4wheelers. My trailer is a 5'X10' and will not fit both of them. I am considering 2 options. The first is depicted in the attached photos. I would build a single that goes in the front of the trailer to fit an atv sideways and the other atv would simply drive up on the back of the trailer. My second option would be to add a receive type rack to the back of my trailer extending it the required 3' to accomidate the second atv. I know I could build the first option, but it seems as though it would be easier just to attach an extension on the rear of my trailer. Any thoughts from you fabrication guys?
    Attached Files

Not a fabricator, but I do a little designing every once in a while!

Why not split the difference. Build a tire holding apparatus on the front rail so the first one climbs the front tires over the rail. (just make sure the corners wouldn't hit your tailgate when you turned sharp) Add a small extension to the back to catch the back tires of the second. I think this would also distribute the weight a little better. If you had all the extra weight it might make your tounge kinda light which don't pull too good sometimes.

You could actually do both pieces in a reciever type deal that could be removed when you're not using the trailer for the ATV's.

Comment

What about making a section of the trailer side rails removable. Just use ramps to drive the 4 wheeler onto the front of the trailer. Could even use channel iron and a 2x12 for that section of the rail. Would secure the 4 wheeler and is easy to take in and out.

Comment

Do this to your trailer.

You may have to box the frame, tho.

Click image for larger version

Name:	trailer013.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	226.4 KB
ID:	23877173
        Ultramatic Feeders

We're paratroopers, Lieutenant. We're supposed to be surrounded......

/l _ ,[____],
        l---- L-- -OlllllllO-
        ()_)--()_)---o-)_)

Comment

I would turn the front one sideways. 3' hangin off the back would take away all your tongue weight and they don't pull well at all that way. I would put the front "track" right on top of the front rail of the trailer, and build the other one where it hung on the side rails, and put something structural under it to span across the trailer. That way you can remove it for hauling other stuff, and still store stuff underneath it.

If you hack into the side rail to put a ramp on like in Joey's picture you DO need to stiffen the frame, those rails provide quite a bit of rigidity.

But like I said, I'd put it on top!
          Last edited by Dale Moser; 03-19-2009, 02:39 PM.

Comment

My buddy had the same problem. So I built these ATV holders for his trailer.
            Last edited by cjkozik; 11-23-2012, 01:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by cjkozik View Post
              My buddy had the same problem. So I built these ATV holders for his trailer.
              Somethin just like that is what I was thinkin except with only the front one turned sideways.

Comment

Allsome!

We have a winner!
                Ultramatic Feeders

We're paratroopers, Lieutenant. We're supposed to be surrounded......

/l _ ,[____],
                l---- L-- -OlllllllO-
                ()_)--()_)---o-)_)

Comment

CJ-that is sort of the thing I was thinking, but as Dale said, only turn the first one sideways. Question-are the side rails strong enough to support the weight of an ATV? The deal I was talking about building sits inside the trailer and is self supporting. So all the weight is on the floorboard.

Comment

I was thinking about using stadium seating for the pieces that the atv tires sit on. Does anyone know if they are strong enough to support the weight, and secondly does anyone know where I can pick some up on the cheap?

Comment

I know he had put 2 atv's on that trailer in the past without any problems. He wanted them on the rails, so he could have some storage for corn and coolers.. He told me the trailer pulled fine and he never mentioned any problems...

Comment

CZ-How are they attatched to the rails? Are they 4 seperate pieces, or 2?

Comment

I think bleacher seats will require steel subrame. As long as the weight is distributed evenly across the rail, she will hold up just fine.

Comment

CZ-what are the dimensions of the trailer, and what are the dimensions of the contraption if you have that info?

Comment

They are bolted to the top rail with grade 8 bolts, and they are 12" inches wide and 74" long.. The trays consists of four different sections and can be adjusted to the width of the atv... I wanna say the trailor was 5x8 or 5x10...

Comment

Working...
                              X