Storing bags of corn

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Storing bags of corn

I would like to store 6-8 50 lb bags of corn at the lease for in-between fillups. I'm thinking of just getting a couple of 55 gallon plastic or metal drums with snap-ring lids and putting the whole bags in there (I assume 3-4 each max), seal them up, and then top off feeders each time I go until I need to bring 1000 pounds out again. This way I don't have to have transportation every time I go...

I'm thinking plastic will be less likely to sweat inside. The corn probably won't be in there more than a couple of months at most so hopefully that won't be an issue. Anyone have experience doing this and have spoiled corn?

Used an old freezer for that. Keep it in the shade and prolly should keep only sealed bags in there. Worked good!

Comment

I store my extra corn in a 55 gallon metal drum with no issues....just make sure you have a tightly sealed lid.

Comment

Originally posted by Alphabets View Post
        I store my extra corn in a 55 gallon metal drum with no issues....just make sure you have a tightly sealed lid.
        This. You should be able to get 4 bags easy.

Comment

Originally posted by Smokeater View Post
          Used an old freezer for that. Keep it in the shade and prolly should keep only sealed bags in there. Worked good!
          That's what we use - an old chest freezer that sits in the barn. We store bagged corn and protein in it. Rodent proof and the seal on the lid keeps it nice and fresh.

Comment

Awesome thanks! I can carry a barrel to the feeder spot. An old freezer? Not so much, lol. I'll pick up a couple metals and keep them in the shade right by the feeders and I'll be GTG.

Comment

Only issue I had with storing for too long was the corn weevils or whatever they are called get in and eat the corn. Then you see your feeders slinging a huge cloud of dust when they go off. I like to do the same, keep 6-10 bags to keep the feeders topped off and bait a hog trap. Never had an issue but I try to rotate them out in a couple of months. I store mine in a metal building with a concrete floor. I keep mice bait around in case the mice find their way in and never a problem.

Comment

Originally posted by ken800 View Post
                I would like to store 6-8 50 lb bags of corn at the lease for in-between fillups. I'm thinking of just getting a couple of 55 gallon plastic or metal drums with snap-ring lids and putting the whole bags in there (I assume 3-4 each max), seal them up, and then top off feeders each time I go until I need to bring 1000 pounds out again. This way I don't have to have transportation every time I go...

I'm thinking plastic will be less likely to sweat inside. The corn probably won't be in there more than a couple of months at most so hopefully that won't be an issue. Anyone have experience doing this and have spoiled corn?
                Unless you vent the drums I can guarantee your corn will mold particularly if the drums are outside where the lids accumulate water.

Comment

Originally posted by ken800 View Post
                  Awesome thanks! I can carry a barrel to the feeder spot. An old freezer? Not so much, lol. I'll pick up a couple metals and keep them in the shade right by the feeders and I'll be GTG.
                  How do you handle a barrel full of corn?

Tractor with loader or?

Comment

I use metal 55 gal drums, I can get 6 unopened bags in a drum. No mold issues, I don’t store it more than a couple mo.s due to possible weevil issues.

Comment

If your gonna store them outside in the shade in a metal drum, you will have some sweating going on inside. Put the can on top of some blocks to let air hit the bottom of the can. Most of the time it will sour the corn on the bottom. I would at least get some 55 gallon drum liners and tie them shut after you put your corn in there. Just speaking from experience.

Comment

I used the big roll around Trash cans that are used now... There Heavy Plastic and tuff and the couple I have never leaked and so far no critter damage...

Comment

Thanks for all the information. I'll be putting two of them at each feeder. I'll put them on top of concrete blocks. I usually have drum liners at thehouse for trash so I can do that, too.

So to understand why... My property is about 1 hour from my house. I have no buildings, storage, etc. on said property. My only "transportation" is a lifted golf cart that I built a bed for. I can put about 7 bags of corn on the cart at a time and drive them out to the feeder. Each time it is "time to fill", I buy 1000lbs or so and take it out on my trailer with the golf cart. If I can take an extra 500lbs for that trip and store it in the cans, I can reduce the number of refill trips with all the equipment. I can carry the empty cans on the back of the cart. Then cart the corn to them, put them in, and cart back. I put down about 10-12lbs of corn per day so even in my 500, it will last 45 days at most. Being able to top off will buy me a little more time in between hauls and it certainly won't last more than 2 months so hopefully it won't sweat enought to sour.

Thanks again for all the input.

Comment

Been doing this for years using 55 gal metal drums.
                            Use galvanized lids - will keep moisture down.
                            Spray the barrels with home pesticide around the rim and let dry. You'll be good go.

Comment

Plastic screw top 55 gallon barrels. Works great.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X