No announcement yet.

My 14 year old’s current project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hope his time per flag improves or hes working for less than $5/hour! Good on him for showing the initiative. Really working on optimizing his process while not reducing the quality will be key for him. Also a skill that pays dividends down the road too!

Comment

Originally posted by muddyz View Post
      Hope his time per flag improves or hes working for less than $5/hour! Good on him for showing the initiative. Really working on optimizing his process while not reducing the quality will be key for him. Also a skill that pays dividends down the road too!
      Not to mention materials.

Shoulda started at $120.....been there!

He is going to learn some very valuable lessons in economics very soon, and that's worth more than 100 of those beautiful flags.

Comment

I bet once he gets it down he can make 4-6 in the time it took him to make that one. Make them all at once.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Thanks for all the info!

Once he gets his social media up and running, I think he’ll reevaluate the pricing.

Made a lumber run yesterday and left him with this when I went to work this morning.
          Click image for larger version

Name:	9D0954E2-7110-4DEA-A162-448532222C6B.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	116.2 KB
ID:	24619939

Name:	6587D299-007A-4E6F-9AEE-D240A1ADC86C.jpeg
Size:	135.0 KB
ID:	24619940

Came home this evening to this. All cuts, sanding, and most of the torching for 5 flags done!

Name:	FA5D535D-611E-4F6E-91A0-DAE539C03806.jpeg
Size:	137.6 KB
ID:	24619941

Name:	241EC4A0-0F8B-4261-AD1C-92E7CA692A71.jpeg
Size:	121.9 KB
ID:	24619942

Comment

Looks great!

Comment

Originally posted by Scubasteveo View Post
              Looks awesome. I would suggest getting him a bigger torch to help speed up that process.

https://www.harborfreight.com/propan...waAvb3EALw_wcB
              Definitely get him a bigger torch! Nothing like having the capacity to burn down a house if your mind strays.

Comment

That's some awesome work!

Comment

Originally posted by Scubasteveo View Post
                  Looks awesome. I would suggest getting him a bigger torch to help speed up that process.

https://www.harborfreight.com/propan...waAvb3EALw_wcB
                  I have a cactus burner and he’s played with it to try to speed up the torching process, he’s not getting a good consistent burn that he’s happy with, so he went back to the smaller torch.

Comment

Originally posted by Cooter View Post
                    So last week my son and I were discussing his next couple of years and him coming up with the money to buy, or help buy his first vehicle. We were discussing jobs and how to work around his school schedule, football,baseball, and soon to be Ag (I’m hoping he gets involved with FFA). Earlier this week he told me he wanted to try and do something on his own vs. flipping burgers or something similar. I told him to give it some thought and research and see what he could come up with. He decided he wanted to build things and came up with trying to build rustic wood burned flags. He came up with a list of materials and hit the box store yesterday. He had me in the garage early this morning to get started. Here’s where he’s at so far.

I put a jig together and showed him how it would speed things up for him when he started building more.
                    [ATTACH]1004898[/ATTACH]

He did all the sanding, cutting, burning, and staining.
                    [ATTACH]1004899[/ATTACH]
                    [ATTACH]1004900[/ATTACH]
                    [ATTACH]1004901[/ATTACH]
                    [ATTACH]1004902[/ATTACH]

I hammered the razor blades in, and managed to cut myself twice😁
                    [ATTACH]1004903[/ATTACH]

This is where we left it for today.
                    [ATTACH]1004904[/ATTACH]

Tomorrow he’ll assemble and the start cutting the stars with the Dremel before finishing with 3 coats of clear.

Proud of his initiative and willingness to jump in with both feet!
                    I'll tell you what man, if he wants to sell one give me a call and we can talk

Steven,
                    913-274-8662

Comment

Awesomeness! Congrats and Keep On Keepin On!

Comment

Proud Dad for sure. That turned out great!

PM if he is ready to start selling them.

Hope the mods will leave us alone and help the young man out!

Comment

Originally posted by TeamAmerica View Post
                          Proud Dad for sure. That turned out great!

PM if he is ready to start selling them.

Hope the mods will leave us alone and help the young man out!
                          Thanks! He’s got a bunch to get knocked out for current orders. I’ll PM you when he’s caught up and taking more orders.

Comment

Not much done today as he was waiting on me to get home. Had to hammer razor blades on top 7 boards of the four American flags so he can get clean lines on the union. After cutting myself twice on the firs flag, I decided it was better for me to do that part. He got some staining done and will finish staining when he gets back from church tonight.

Name:	59921537-41D1-4542-85B4-AE2578BFCE26.jpeg
Size:	125.2 KB
ID:	24619990

Name:	5E49DA2B-3DAA-4B6E-90B3-62F40B8CD07B.jpeg
Size:	107.7 KB
ID:	24619991

Comment

I can almost hear the process being streamlined...

Good for y’all!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X