No announcement yet.

Growing Cucumbers in a Barrel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking good, Bobby. Can I assume that the ideal start time for these is about late March when you started this thread?

Comment

Originally posted by WildThings View Post
      I've refilled this 4 times now,(right at 45 gals) the first time I drowned one of the plants but the others survived and has given us lots of cucumbers. The subsequent refills I didn't fill it completely up. On the next go around I will be using a large barrel and plenty more growth area
      As mentioned above I used a larger container and used the 10' wall of my shop. Started these on May 26th. They've grown past my net trellis and are hanging halfway down

Attached Files

Comment

We got too many dang cucumbers. And they are huge.

Comment

Originally posted by Chew View Post
          We got too many dang cucumbers. And they are huge.
          I'm on a new kick right now. My wife sliced cukes, onions and tomatoes and sprinkled on some of that powdered ranch dressing that comes in a spice like jar. Don't overdo it though. MAN is it good!! Keto heaven!

Comment

I'm on a new kick right now. My wife sliced cukes, onions and tomatoes and sprinkled on some of that powdered ranch dressing that comes in a spice like jar. Don't overdo it though. MAN is it good!! Keto heaven!
            We are italiano's so we do cukes, onions, tomatoes and some iceberg lettuce....put in a bowl with oil, white vinegar, salt and pepper and let that sit for about 1 hour. Man Alive! Was tradition growing up that we HAD TO eat this every Sunday....and we did.

Comment

Originally posted by Man View Post
              We are italiano's so we do cukes, onions, tomatoes and some iceberg lettuce....put in a bowl with oil, white vinegar, salt and pepper and let that sit for about 1 hour. Man Alive! Was tradition growing up that we HAD TO eat this every Sunday....and we did.
              Yep that's my goto for those goodies! Good stuff!

Comment

How are they doing everbody? Got pics? Thinking about starting a late one for the fall pickings.

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Grown View Post
                  How are they doing everbody? Got pics? Thinking about starting a late one for the fall pickings.
                  Well I'm calling mine a great success with a terrible ending. Was gone for a few days and came back and beetles ate the whole things!!

Was getting close to a decision on how to refill without drowning them but I don't have to worry about that now
                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Grown View Post
                    A couple pictures of the root systems inside the barrel
                    Attached Files

Comment

Ours have pretty much stopped. Too much rain in the barrel maybe? Leaves turned brown and cukes quit growing. We got a lot off of the vine before it stopped producing.

Comment

Originally posted by Chew View Post
                        Ours have pretty much stopped. Too much rain in the barrel maybe? Leaves turned brown and cukes quit growing. We got a lot off of the vine before it stopped producing.
                        I took a piece of plywood and cut 2 slots in it and slid it on top of the barrel with the plants in the slots. It was on an angle which kept the rain from entering the barrel

Comment

I took a piece of plywood and cut 2 slots in it and slid it on top of the barrel with the plants in the slots. It was on an angle which kept the rain from entering the barrel
                          Thanks. Will keep that in mind next year.

But might have to rethink this whole barrel thing because the wife is claiming that the cucumber plants in the raised bed outperformed the ones in the barrel

Comment

Working...
                          X