ATV Trailer Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tinkering on it again this weekend.

Cut out expanded metal for sides last night, and been putting it all together today.

The support pieces

Front all welded in

I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...

Henry David Thoreau

Comment

ATV Trailer Build

Got it pretty far along now.

Sides are in, running boards are welded to frame.

Later tonight or in the morning I will radius all the corners, and reshape the running boards so it will slide past trees if I cut it a little close.

I left this gap on purpose. The trailer will be stored outside, nose low. I’m hoping that this allows water and leaves to blow out easily, so it doesn’t rust on me.

The only welding left will be to put in some 1 ¼” angle to hold the tailgate, which will be a drop in type for simplicity’s sake. I don’t have any, gonna have to pick some up

I’ll get it primed and painted soon. Gonna be IH red. I’m thinking of adding some eye bolts as tie down points like was suggested above. That will be last.

As soon as I finish this project, I will get started on our stock trailer. It’ll be another pretty good project, and has a fantastic story behind it.

Henry David Thoreau
      Last edited by Gummi Bear; 04-11-2020, 07:34 PM.

Comment

ATV Trailer Build

I went ahead and primed it, in case I’m struck by a case of laziness later.

I don’t want raw metal sitting outside.

This is how I’m gonna cut the running boards.

Henry David Thoreau
        Last edited by Gummi Bear; 04-11-2020, 07:57 PM.

Comment

That turned out Great! I would get you some ospho - rust treatment, that would take care of that rust for good. Man I wish I had a shop to work in, been welding on my back porch and fighting the weather each week, my projects are going are lot slower.

Comment

Got a little more done this morning.

Henry David Thoreau

Comment

Originally posted by Gummi Bear View Post
              I’m thinking of adding some eye bolts as tie down points like was suggested above.
              I would use D-rings for tie-down points instead of eye bolts. Like these.

Comment

Those are nice, however, I don’t need anything nearly that burly.

This is just a trailer to drag around the farm behind the ATV for utility use. Maybe throw a rope over some brush to keep it from bouncing off.

Henry David Thoreau

Comment

Then yeah, those are probably a little overkill.

Comment

I appreciate the creativity ideas.

That’s what leads to neat projects.

Henry David Thoreau

Comment

very cool.

Comment

Got a coat of paint on it last night.

I still need to weld in the tailgate slot angle, keep forgetting to pick up a piece of 1 ¼” angle.

I pulled out the latch, gonna sandblast it at my buddy’s house, and give it a quick coat of paint.

That’ll be it for this project.

The next project will be the Monkey Trailer - gotta get a couple parts ordered, and find a sheet metal shop to cut a floor for my hay locker. I want to do it this summer.

Henry David Thoreau

Comment

That will be handy as a pocket on a shirt, unlimited uses.

Also, D-rings rattle like hell when not in use. I don't really like the look of eye bolts. I'd cut big chain links in half and weld on, or bend some kind of stock that wouldn't cut rope, and you can still get a ratchet strap hook through. Even boat cleats can work.
                          Last edited by Dale Moser; 05-12-2020, 09:05 AM.

Comment

looks very good

Comment

Nice job

Comment

Working...
                              X