Texas Sized Hog Trap - Round 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dusty Britches View Post
    Those football ones Dale are great eating in this area. What about your area?

I'm stunned by how many babies we've seen this year.
    I'm sure they'd be good, but I'm not hungry enough to mess with them....yet.

Comment

In for more action!

Comment

You and me both CB! I'm waiting patiently for them to show up! When the weather cooperates I'll get in the and probably add 2x4 no climb but heavy duty bird wire might be cheaper. With the high tensile behind it, it should hold up well.

Comment

Speak and it will happen! Door is down!

In the second photo the gate is down, so as you can see, we have lots more to get.
          Attached Files

Comment

I'll post pictures after we shoot them but patience please. I have to work so it will be this afternoon.

Comment

dannnng you have a slight pig problem lol

Comment

We went at lunch to shoot them. The babies got out as we pulled up. There were 2 big ones outside the trap. I tried to get a shot on a red one but just couldn't get a clear line. The second one was a big black boar. I hit him, he dropped like a sack of potatoes and started the death kick. I changed my focus on 3 running right at me. They stopped at 5 feet and I was so close I had to back up to shoot through the wire!

In the end, there was only 3 in the trap (babies got out). We went to collect the one outside the trap and he was gone. If I had time, I'd put my dog on him but a storm is coming and I am supposed to work today.

My shooter took 2 of the pigs before I could get a photo, but here's the biggest one - a boar hog. He's about 165 pounds. Trap is already set and ready to go! We are up to 48 trapped pigs killed and 51 total kills since February 13.

Comment

Oh yeah, and we started taking head shots on all pigs in the trap.. My neighbors actually teased me about the amount of meat I was destroying.

Comment

Awesome job!

Comment

Btw - added the cattle panels to round the corners has worked extremely well. They do not ball up and keep moving.

Actually, 52 kills. Im not posting that to brag, I'm trying to keep record for myself.
                      Last edited by Dusty Britches; 04-03-2020, 04:16 PM.

Comment

We trapped another 12+ pigs and only got 9 because the strippers slipped through.

Time for an upgrade. Operation Full Load has started. I bought 3 rolls of 48" x 100' of welded wire fence and cut it in half with my chop saw. This will go on the inside and since it is only intended to stop strippers, we went cheap. The high tensil will stop the big ones.
                        Attached Files

Comment

But first...

We have some more pigs to shoot. Look at this massive boar hog that came in tonight like a puppy on a string.
                          Attached Files

Comment

That's a good boar. Did he get trapped also? What kind of chopsaw do you have that will cut full rolls like that?

Comment

Yes he's in there but it will be tomorrow afternoon before I get to him.

Its just a cheap 3.5 hp 14" chop saw from Harbor Freight. I had to take all of the guides off and cut a few, maybe 5 or 6 strands on the very inside. My husband said it wouldn't work but how do you know until you try?

Comment

Gonna be interesting to see that big sucker dead.

Comment

Working...
                                X