Knife Handles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Knife Handles

Again playing around with scrap wood. I'm trying some knife handles for Damascus skinning knives, any suggestions? I've epoxied pieces of phenolic and wood to a phenolic background. Then I trace out the handle contour and attach it to the blade for shaping with the handle pins. Finally I sand the rest of the shape and coat it all with Tung oil.
    Last edited by Savage; 01-12-2020, 11:10 AM. Reason: added text

Sorry here's a pic
    Attached Files

Comment

Knife Handles

Looks great but next time place your scales so your pins don’t go through a spacer.

Nice work

Sierracharlie out…
      Last edited by sierracharlie338; 01-12-2020, 11:17 AM.

Comment

Yeah I kinda noticed that when I was putting the pins in, noted for next go round. Thinking about making some with solid black phenolic this week, but I do like the exotic wood look.

Comment

Originally posted by Savage View Post
          Yeah I kinda noticed that when I was putting the pins in, noted for next go round. Thinking about making some with solid black phenolic this week, but I do like the exotic wood look.

I made some a few times. Not hard but was more hassle than it was worth to me. Definitely give it a shot. I have a couple buddies that make good money just doing that.

Sierracharlie out…

Comment

I hear ya I just hate letting good material go to waste. The material is already paid for when I build the bows, just don't want to throw it away, and damascus skinning knives come in pretty handy.

Comment

I agree with sierracharlie338 on spacing your pins... may I add a few other pointers, hopes this helps you bro.
              First lay out where you want to handle sections and drill accordingly.
              If you have enough material cut your pieces to fit at an angle, not so straight, it gives the knife a little flair. Also round off your bolsters, not flat.

I like that you used spacers between the pieces, nice add.

One other thing that will put icing on the cake. Use Tru Oil (gun stock oil). Don't watch the youtube videos on how to put it on. Wipe on oil with a paper towel and wipe off, it will leave a small amount on the handle and dry relatively fast. You can do this over and over until it shines like a new dime giving you a smooth finish. I like to put on 15 to 20 coats, takes about two days.

Comment

We are looking to relocate the east Texas area in the next few months, I can show you my process, I'm sure it isn't perfect, but it works for me.

Finishing up a couple as we speak, and several more in process, I'll post some pics.

Might be willing to trade some of your scale material for some on mine? I have stabilized Arkansas walnut, stabilized Texas Osage, stabilized Bokote, lot of spalted hackberry, some flame elder.

Comment

Speaking of wood for scales.....
                  Probably should not have used this piece of maple for a drawer side but I did. Has some nice flame in it. Click image for larger version

Name:	Adjustments.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	64.8 KB
ID:	24604971

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I have been wanting to try some Zebrawood or Cocobolo as handle scales myself. If you can find some, I bet they would look good on a nice damascus blade.

Comment

Originally posted by sendit View Post
                      Probably should not have used this piece of maple for a drawer side but I did. Has some nice flame in it. [ATTACH]988134[/ATTACH]

Drawer side? Build a new drawer. Use that somewhere.

Here's a Buck I redid from a tree here at the farm.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by sendit View Post
                        Probably should not have used this piece of maple for a drawer side but I did. Has some nice flame in it. [ATTACH]988134[/ATTACH]

That’s a sin right there !

Comment

If any of you guys have cutoff pieces of nice woods like that i could use them for most of my projects!

Comment

Working...
                          X