Beginner Welding Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JWalker08 View Post
    Ive had a Hobart 140 from TSC for about 15 years. It’s got to have a few hundred hours on it. It comes set up for fluxcore and will accept gas. I’ve used it all these years with fluxcore. I’ve build racks,feeders, blinds and all kinds of stuff with it. I’ve got gas welders and electric stick welders but the Hobart 140 is often my go to for smaller to midsized projects. I wouldn’t hesitate to buy another one. You can run it off an extension cord of needed. As far as cutting goes, a 4” cutoff blade on a grinder works well for some things and you can buy a metal chop saw from TSC for pretty cheap. I’ve had one of their black bull brand saws for several years and cut lots of drill stem and square tubing with it. TSC also sells torch set ups for a reasonable price. You can pick your bottle size and exchange the bottles at any TSC.
    Do you work for TSC ? LOL.p

Sent from my LG-K550 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
      Not with flux core wire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      This, since the shielding is produce at the arc by vaporizing the flux, FCAW has a big advantage out in the field and not prone to having shielding gas blown off of the arc and puddle by the wind, like GMAW. If you take it into a garage or workshop, make sure you have a means of extracting the fumes.

cricman

Comment

Northern tools has the Hobart 100 on sale for $198. Anyone have experience with it? I was looking at the fc90, but this one looks a little better. I have no real knowledge though, just want a little one to play around with.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
          You will not be dissapointed with the Hobart 140.
          This comment shouldn't be overlooked. Spend the money on a Hobart. That said, if you want the buy once cry once Hobart for most work a hobby welder will do, get the 210MVP. I broke down and got it last year. 120 or 240 volt input gives huge flexibility, at least for my needs. You may have missed it since it's after Christmas but Hobart does rebates and Northern tool offers decent coupons and gift card bonuses.

Comment

Originally posted by 2BigMethod View Post
            I started with Habor Freight 90A flux core mig welder best $100 bucks spent just use the better flux wire from Lincoln
            x2

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan81 View Post
              Thanks for the responses and good write ups RifleBowPistol.

Would you consider yourself self taught or did you have help, take classes, etc.?

Does anyone have the cheap-o Chicago electric/Harbor Freight welding cart? Thought about buying it or just making my first project a welding cart. But $39 seems hard to beat.

As for the welder. I think I’ve decided on the Hobart 140. I’m not sure I need one of the bigger mig welders at the moment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              I have two of the 99 dollar welding carts from harbor freight. one for my mig and one for my plasma torch. I too do my fab work outside.and have to roll my stuff over a gravel drive. i'm glad I spent the extra money, they work well.

Comment

Great thread

Comment

I upgraded my HF 90 to a HF Titanium 140 Mig. Does flux core or gas. I really like that machine for the money.

Comment

I started about 15 years ago. Welded coffee tables, end tables, TX racks, audio racks, wine glass holder, hunting blinds hog traps. etc. Now I weld from time to time around the farm. I have several project with parts just waiting. Started out with a Hobart 125,had to get it fixed once but still goings. Also Hobart 220. My go to is the 125.

Comment

[quote=mikeyb_23;14631045]Northern tools has the Hobart 100 on sale for $198. Anyone have experience with it? I was looking at the fc90, but this one looks a little better. I have no real knowledge though, just want a little one to play around with.[/quote

Comment

Tagged

Comment

I started with a dc stick welder. If you can do decent stick welds most of the other processes will come easier. In addition with dc by adding an argon bottle and a TIG torch you can get into scratch start TIG in carbon and stainless steel. TIG will get you the capability to weld thin stuff like 16 gauge square tubing.

Comment

Following

Comment

Lincoln 190C mig welder is what I bought and learned from lots of practice and research. I really wanted to learn to weld and just ponied up and dove in head first.

Comment

FYI Harbor Freight has the Titanium 140 Mig welder for $349.00 coupon code is 71285453 I have this machine and I like it. Supposed to be similar to the Hobart Handler 140

Comment

Working...
                                X