DIY flats skiff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank y’all so very much!

I started cutting materials to fabricate the console box and should get it wrapped up and possibly the outboard rebuilt by midweek?

Michael

Comment

Here’s a sneak peek of the console box mockup before being epoxied.

Comment

Great work Sir!

Comment

Originally posted by fish4food View Post
          Great work Sir!

Thank you Sir! It should not be long now!!!

Comment

Looking pretty sweet!!

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Brazos Hunter View Post
              Here’s a sneak peek of the console box mockup before being epoxied.

What are the 3 switches for?
              I installed a 4 switch bank then realized I needed one more!

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Bowyer View Post
                What are the 3 switches for?
                I installed a 4 switch bank then realized I needed one more!

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Navigation lights and a bilge pump with an extra. Less is more to me. I will be running a Lowrance that will come on when the engine is on.

Michael

Comment

This is awesome!

Comment

I've quietly followed this from near the beginning and I'm amazed at the craftsmanship. There is nothing about the SkipJack that would make one think that it was built in a suburban neighborhood garage by somebody with a full-time job. The quality is amazing and you sir are a helluva boat builder. Job well done.

Comment

Originally posted by curtintex View Post
                      I've quietly followed this from near the beginning and I'm amazed at the craftsmanship. There is nothing about the SkipJack that would make one think that it was built in a suburban neighborhood garage by somebody with a full-time job. The quality is amazing and you sir are a helluva boat builder. Job well done.

Thank you my friend!

I often dream of things I would like to do or see and it is really awesome when you are able to make those dreams a reality. I have been getting my hands dirty working on her for six months now but I’ve actually been working on her for going on six if you count dreaming, planning, and researching. I can’t wait to start the next build!!!

I was able to get the console box completely fabricated and in epoxy. Tomorrow I will prime and paint it. Then Tuesday, start running wires.

Michael

Comment

Originally posted by curtintex View Post

BTW, thank you so very much!!! I wish I could take credit though. The Salt Boatworks plans are very easy to follow with full size templates and phenomenal customer support if you have a question or hit a snag. All the modifications to the original design were others that I incorporated. Adam, the owner and engineer of Salt Boatworks has even sent me messages about modifications I was in the process of making and made suggestions based on his knowledge. I am in no way affiliated or sponsored by them, I just believe in what they are doing and more importantly, how they run their business.

Sorry for the long praise report and in actually, it’s not near enough for what he has done in assisting me achieve my goal and dream.

Michael

Comment

The DIY manual jack-plate is complete less mounting the 1 1/2” thick backer board that is in epoxy drying. This will give me up to 4” of travel and has a 4 1/2” back set! Not too bad for a guy that only used a drill, jigsaw, and a file?

Salt Boatworks FRS-14
                          Project Skipjack

Comment

Nice work Michael. I know very well what it's like making slotted work with those very tools.

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Grown View Post
                              Nice work Michael. I know very well what it's like making slotted work with those very tools.

Thank you. It actually went much quicker than I expected. After I located the file it only took 30 minutes to knock out.

Comment

Today was another productive day! After a brief morning meeting I painted the console box and jackplate outboard backer board. After lunch the black stainless steel screws arrived for the rub rail so I knocked that out before moving to the dry storage helm cooler and helm mat. The fish box cooler will be installed after the grab bar is.

Salt Boatworks FRS-14
                                Project Skipjack

Comment

Working...
                                X