Question about rifle window height

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My class has decided to build a metal deer blind. Making a frame atleast, and put it up for sale to make a little money for our project fund.

We are going to make a 5 x 5 stand Probably 6'6" tall at the back door. We plan on making the roof slope 1 or 2 inches from front to the back.

What is a good common (I know but when not building for an individual we have to use an average) bottom window height?

How big would you make the door? We were thinking almost 6' tall and maybe 24-30" wide?

Any thoughts and suggestions would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks!

Also interested for answers.

Comment

sit in a chair or stool and figure it out. Probably up to under-arm in general. But mock it up would be easiest.

Comment

42" for the bottom window height is what I always build mine. Door is 24" wide. If you want to PM me your number I will send you the drawings and measurements of the ones I build.

Comment

You could make the windows up and down rectangles instead of side to side and have a bow and gun blind. just a suggestion

Comment

Originally posted by Welding Teach View Post
            My class has decided to build a metal deer blind. Making a frame atleast, and put it up for sale to make a little money for our project fund.

We are going to make a 5 x 5 stand Probably 6'6" tall at the back door. We plan on making the roof slope 1 or 2 inches from front to the back.

What is a good common (I know but when not building for an individual we have to use an average) bottom window height?

How big would you make the door? We were thinking almost 6' tall and maybe 24-30" wide?

Any thoughts and suggestions would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks!
            I cut my window at 39" to accommodate big and small. I got my door from Deerview so I can't remember what the rough opening was for those.

Comment

Originally posted by Short Mag View Post
              42" for the bottom window height is what I always build mine. Door is 24" wide. If you want to PM me your number I will send you the drawings and measurements of the ones I build.
              PM Sent

Comment

My windows are 39” from floor to the bottom of the window.
                After I put the floor in, I took a chair and sat in it to get that measurement. Nothing worse than having to shoot out of windows that are too high.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Does it sit on a tower, or close to the ground?

That can influence the window height.

How far from the feeder? Also an indicator.

Set up some simulation, use the football field, mock it up, and sit your students in a chair use a stick of pipe to simulate a rifle. Make it a fun informative activity as part of the planning.

One thing I’ve learned, make windows tall enough that you can fit your rifle , with a light on it for hunting pigs in the off-season.

Make your door large enough that you can enter and exit wearing bulky winter clothes without too much racket. Maybe add a backpack too.

This is another experiment. (I’ve built doors 30-36” wide, depending on who it’s for, I’m short, so a 6’ tall door is generous)

I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...

Henry David Thoreau
                  Last edited by Gummi Bear; 10-25-2019, 10:33 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Gummi Bear View Post
                    Does it sit on a tower, or close to the ground?

That can influence the window height.

How far from the feeder? Also an indicator.

Set up some simulation, use the football field, mock it up, and sit your students in a chair use a stick of pipe to simulate a rifle. Make it a fun informative activity as part of the planning.

One thing I’ve learned, make windows tall enough that you can fit your rifle , with a light on it for hunting pigs in the off-season.

Make your door large enough that you can enter and exit wearing bulky winter clothes without too much racket. Maybe add a backpack too.

This is another experiment. (I’ve built doors 30-36” wide, depending on who it’s for, I’m short, so a 6’ tall door is generous)

Henry David Thoreau

Lol, I can see the headlines now. “Local coach arrested for teaching shooting lessons, with an illegal weapon, on school property.”

Comment

Originally posted by bobc View Post
                      Lol, I can see the headlines now. “Local coach arrested for teaching shooting lessons, with an illegal weapon, on school property.”

Here’s the spin:

Local teacher instruction on practical geometry

LOL

Henry David Thoreau

Comment

Originally posted by Gummi Bear View Post
                        Here’s the spin:

Local teacher instruction on practical geometry

LOL

Henry David Thoreau

True. But, media has not been taking the logical route for a while.

Comment

Err on the low side for the reasons stated. 35" - 40" is a good zone.
                          24" is plenty wide for a blind door.

Comment

40 inches bottom of window.

Comment

I did tons of research and the norm was 38-42 inches.

Comment

Working...
                              X