Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

Wooden wedding ring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Very cool. Thanks for the response.

Comment

Seems like the olive oil would be a bad idea if you are going to then use CA glue. Could be wrong.

Comment

Very nice Sir.
        I did one last night with acrylic and came out very nice, until I went to put the hut polish on it. This is a heat activated finish and as thin as the acrylic was it melted and came apart. Lesson learned not to much buffing.

Comment

Awesome, I want one!

Comment

Nice!

Comment

Originally posted by LeanMachine View Post
              Seems like the olive oil would be a bad idea if you are going to then use CA glue. Could be wrong.

I agree, I was hesitant as well. I did a very light coat to make the natural colors pop and then I wiped off any excess and applied CA maybe 15 minutes later. No ill effects so far, the CA seemed to take well. We will see though!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by SamHarper View Post
                That's awesome! It's funny you would post it just now, too. I've been watching a lot of views on YouTube lately with people making rings, and it has me wanting to give it a try. I don't have a lathe, though. I don't even wear rings, but I still want to make one!
                I bought a “wedding” ring made out of deer horn this weekend. !
                I have lost two gold bands and have been wearing the “rubber” one lately.
                Wife was ok with it and that’s what matters the most.

To the OP, very nicely done.

BP

Comment

Awesome work!

To get a really nice smooth finish without a lathe wrap a dremel bit with paper towels or a felt block till the ring fits snug and use it as a lathe to apply CA and sand.

Comment

This is a fairly easy method to make rings without a lathe or specialized equipment.

Another way is to buy a plain stainless steel band and glue up the veneer on top of it. The CA finish gives it strength but the veneer will still deteriorate if not taken care of. I have some that are 10 years plus old. I only wear them on special occasions and don't abuse them.

Comment

I made my wife a ring just to purpose with....wanted to surprise her while we were on vacation. She wears that one more than the ring with the diamond on it I got her after we got back from vacation.

Comment

Originally posted by dogcatcher View Post
                        This is a fairly easy method to make rings without a lathe or specialized equipment.

Another way is to buy a plain stainless steel band and glue up the veneer on top of it. The CA finish gives it strength but the veneer will still deteriorate if not taken care of. I have some that are 10 years plus old. I only wear them on special occasions and don't abuse them.

Some great info right here. I have seen both methods that you mention and I really want to try the veneer on top of the stainless steel ring. I think the wood and metal look is pretty awesome.

Thanks for sharing!

Comment

Sweet

Comment

Padauk in my experience isn’t very UV stable and tends to darken up if out in the sun. I always try and use UV rated finishes on it. Just an FYI. Awesome ring!

Comment

Imperfections?
                              That's what gives it character.
                              I wouldn't buy one without imperfections.

Comment

Originally posted by Rubberdown View Post
                                Padauk in my experience isn’t very UV stable and tends to darken up if out in the sun. I always try and use UV rated finishes on it. Just an FYI. Awesome ring!

I’ll keep that in mind. Thanks!!

Comment

Working...
                                X