No announcement yet.

Welding critique please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That looks like a process we call spray, are your volts at 27-29 and amps around 270-300?

Comment

Welding critique please

Originally posted by TXHUNT3R View Post
      Can you explain how you see that?

I'm serious, not being rude. I would love to learn to weld WELL one day.

Is it because the metal "spray"

Welds to flat.

Comment

Welding critique please

1/4 inch circle e pattern. Also, I like to push the weld or my tip 90 degrees with the material.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Silvey View Post
          That looks like a process we call spray, are your volts at 27-29 and amps around 270-300?

23-350

Comment

I would work on the end(s) as that’s a good area for cracks to develope. You will need to stop and fill in that area.

Not a pro but I do like to to push as I believe the shielding gas will be pushing the air out of the way of the weld area but still cover the molten weld.

If I remember I did this with either .045” or 1/16”

Comment

Looks like it will work to me

Comment

You need to hold your pool longer at the end. Your gonna have crater cracks in those ends. The middle you travel speed is too fast. Be careful of missed ripple as they are weak spots in the weld as well. If just beginning your doing pretty good. I'm just picky because I inspect welds all day.

Comment

Not bad for a starter. To finish it out, back your mig up for just a second and let it build for a second. That will fill the end up.

There are a number of methods for lay-n a good looking and working bead. I've used most or all of them at one time or another. For small hard wire like that I like to push it. But you can drag it too, in certain situations. Gas Shielded Fluxcore I like to drag in most positions except going up hill at +65 degrees of course. A lot has to do with the angle you are working the material as to making a good strong clean weld. I don't know how many miles of wire I've run in my day. But it's gonna be a lot is all I can say .

You said you were using Argon? Is that straight argon? If so, you might try a 75/25 mix Argon/CO2. That will cover most of your carbon and stainless mig welding. It will also run a little cooler with the CO2. So you can actually get better penetration. It will also cover dual shielded flux core should you ever decided to run Fluxcore with that machine, on heavier metal.

And I will vouch for JustinDFW being a weld inspector. I've been welding most of my adult life my self. Started when I was 18 on aluminum, spray-arc-n. And have been in a number of different industries in my lifetime. Not just a hand full.

Good luck on your new venture. There's much for you to learn if ya like learn-n.

Comment

Welds look a bit cold, you can see at the ends where it didn't completely fill in the bottom of the V. I would swap to C25 instead of the 100% argon for welding mild steel. Great start though and no porosity.

Comment

Originally posted by boh347 View Post
                      Welds to flat.

Wow someone came up with a chart of the 6 different welds I do best!

Comment

Originally posted by txpitdog View Post
                        Wow someone came up with a chart of the 6 different welds I do best!

Haha you too huh?

Comment

Thanks so much for all the info guys. I really do appreciate it. I’ll definitely implement what y’all have said and hope to be putting out some good stuff soon.

Comment

Originally posted by TXHUNT3R View Post
                            Can you explain how you see that?
                            Looks like the wire was pushing the pool a bit... it gets that elongated middle rather than just being round following your movements.

Comment

I’d change my gas to C25 and keep welding.

Comment

Better than a dirt dobber can do

Comment

Working...
                                X