Blind Window Installation Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blind Window Installation Question

This coming weekend I'm going to be installing DV windows in a blind I'm re-building. The blind is a square tubing frame that will be skinned with 1/4" ply wood and galvalume sheet metal on top of the wood. Essentially all metal will be on the exterior of the blind. My question is can I cut the wood and sheet metal at the same time for the Windows? The sheet metal is a lite gauge metal probably are 24-26 ga. Not sure if I can use a sawzall or a skill saw with the blade turned around. Any input on this. Thanks.

You can do this but be careful. The metal and wood adds some complexity.

If I was you, I would:

Sketch out the window size on the wood and drill some holes in the corners of the window opening. This way you have your corners marked in both the wood and metal.

I would then use a grinder with a cut-off wheel/disc to cut the metal.

Then cut the wood from the inside of the blind with the a circular saw.

I love using my sawzall but they just don't cut as clean and can "get away from you" if you're not careful.

JMO

Comment

Going to be difficult to get both pieces cut at the same time if they're already installed on the blind... (wood on inside, metal frame, sheet metal on the outside)

Cut the sheet metal before you install the wood. Drill a hole in each corner and draw a line with soapstone. Use a metabo blade on a grinder (WEAR A FACE SHIELD, GLASSES, GLOVES AND USE THE GUARD!!!). Once the metal is cut, you can fine tune the cut with a grinding wheel and tiger disc. Once the metal is cleaned up, install the plywood, drill holes in the corners and cut with a jig saw. Clean up the edges with a sander.

Comment

Thanks for the input. I'll cut them separately so it turns out right.

Comment

Working...
        X