Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

Ranch Cabin Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That view is something else. What an awesome build. Your sticktoitness is amazing.

Comment

This is totally not what I expected !!! Awesome !

Comment

Originally posted by Texas8point View Post
        This is totally not what I expected !!! Awesome !

Me either. My original thoughts we smaller and more "OLD" looking cabin. We have modified it as we went along and as different material became available. The Silo bath room and the R-Panel wainscoting on the outside give it more of a industrial type feel. I am still hoping that the inside turns out more rustic.

The color changes I made to the outside of the cabin stole the show in my opinion. I just took a leap of faith on them and it looks awesome. The Stain is semi transparent BUT since we used the rough side of the cedar out we couldn't wipe it to expose more of the grain patterns, thus it looks more like a paint than a stain. Of course the pictures were taken within hours of application so maybe it will lighten up a bit?

Thanks to everyone for all the comments and suggestions. I really think this forum helps keep me on track. And documenting the progress and being able to go back and see and read my posts makes it easier to turn back time and remember things better.

Comment

incredible! great work, looks awesome

Comment

what a blessing

Comment

This is beyond epic

Comment

Looking Awesome, keep after it

Comment

Checking in and its looking good.

Be sure to post the VRBO number when youre ready

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
                    Checking in and its looking good.

Be sure to post the VRBO number when youre ready
                    I wish I could VBRO it. SD rules prevent that, which is good I wouldn't want strangers who are renting from another owner wandering around the sub-division.

Comment

I hoped to spend the entire 3 day weekend out at the ranch but my sons football and a UTSA home game on Saturday night kept me from that. I did go on Sunday afternoon by myself and was able to get a few things done.

I completed the staining around the cabin. The last time we were out we got the front side and the East side completed. We did this by roller and brush, it was messy and time consuming. I purchased a really cheap electric paint sprayer from amazon ($26.00). I figured what the heck it was so cheap lets see if it works. It worked great. I got both remaining sides finished in less than 2 hours including setup and cleanup and less drips than using the roller and brushes! I didn't take any pictures except for this first pic below when I was 30 minutes into the staining.

Sunday night I had dinner with a few of my neighbors. We had a great evening talking, eating a drinking.

Monday morning I woke to an awesome sunrise (pics 2&3). I decided to try to knock out a few more of the sub-floor plywood. I was able to add 6 more sub-floor boards before I had to leave at 11AM. In total I have 10 of the 12 sub-floor panels in place (pic 4).

Next time out we plan to get a lot done. I will have an entire week out there.
                      The goal next time out is to:

1) Install the front door, paint, hardware and trim.
                      2) Complete the exterior trim installation and painting outside.
                      3) Install the final 2 sub-floor panels
                      4) foam and caulk all around the cabin to complete the dry in
                      5) Install the wall farming under the loft for the bedrooms.
                      6) install the loft sub-floor.
                      7) install the insulation
                      8) Begin the interior finish-out.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Still one of my all time favorite DIY's.

Rwc

Comment

phenomenal build. Excellent work.

Comment

Looks great, coming together really nice!

Comment

Well we originally planned to head out Last Monday - Friday but as it turned out work got in the way a bit. We were only able to work out at the ranch Wednesday and 1/2 day Thursday.

On Wednesday morning we began by installing the Aluminium underpayment below the the sub-floor panels. We placed them right on top of the steel beams so the sub-floor can be placed on top. We did this in hopes of preventing rot and critters from chewing into the floor. I am hoping that this does not cause any problems.....??? (pic 1) When we were on the last piece we had to return to the metal pile to get it, and Rex just barely missed getting bit by a rattle snake. It was under the last piece, and missed his leg by inches when he struck. We fought back with a 12ga and won (pic 2) After placing the last piece we installed and screwed down all the sub-flooring and foamed in all the gaps around the perimeter. (pic 3)

At that point we split duties and began getting the sub-floor to the loft installed and building the bedroom walls. The sub-floor to the loft will also be the ceiling of the bedrooms so to make it look good we used the same tongue and grove we used on the exterior. It turned out looking awesome from underneath. (pic 4)

We also completed the wall framing on Wednesday and called it an evening. (pic 5)

On Thursday we had planned to work the entire day. But we were cut short due to a thunderstorm. In the morning I began running the electrical and low voltage lines in the bedroom walls, while Rex worked on installing the laminate flooring in the loft. Rex made quick work of the loft and I think it turned out awesome. (pics 6&7)

Andy and I worked on installing the walls in the bedroom. While we were putting up the wall in the the master bedroom Andy came up with the idea of putting in in-wall shelves. Kinda like built in shadow boxes. because the rooms are so small I decided that would work out great, so we modified out design a bit to incorporate 2 shelves in the front (Master) bedroom and 3 in the secondary bedroom. In the pictures you can see the area where the selves will be placed, since the wall did not get finished on the backside it looks like a window now, but will have the back side of the cedar tongue and groove. (pics 9&10)

When we got to that point it began to rain heavily so we had to call it a day.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Looks awesome!

Y'all see many rattlesnakes?

We are south of you a ways and never see any.

Comment

Working...
                                X