No announcement yet.

Ranch Cabin Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Have been waiting for these updates. Awesome place, keep up the good work!

Comment

Glad I found this, but also not. It shows me how little talent I have!! lol. Amazing job.

Comment

Cool progress...thanks for the update.

Comment

Man this has been an awesome project or projects to follow!!

Comment

I've learned that there is very little R&R when you buy a place that is not rigged out. I thought I had a lot of projects I was working - wow, you are killing it! Great looking place

Comment

beautiful views

Comment

You do some amazing work! Interested in hearing where you are procuring your free materials. I’ve missed a few opportunities at some r panel but have not come across much more than that.

Been making a lot of pvc water pipe repairs at our place, was curious how your pex has held up on your place? At some point I may have to replum in pex if they are more durable.

Comment

Originally posted by JMart76 View Post
                  You do some amazing work! Interested in hearing where you are procuring your free materials. I’ve missed a few opportunities at some r panel but have not come across much more than that.

Been making a lot of pvc water pipe repairs at our place, was curious how your PEX has held up on your place? At some point I may have to replum in pex if they are more durable.

The PEX has worked out great! not one single issues with it. when I re-plumbed with PEX I also installed many drain points to winterize the lines so there is no water in them. Last freeze I had only one issue. The RV toilet has a valve on the back where the water goes into the bowl (the trigger valve) It doesn't drain with just gravity, so there was water in it and it broke again. BUT it is inexpensive and easy to change out. BUT I do have a plan to now that I think will prevent that in the future. My plan is to open the valve and send Air back down the pipe clearing the line enough to prevent it from having sufficient water to freeze and break it.

For the Free materials go back through the thread, I believe I outlined how I got it all. Basically its all about not being afraid to just ask if I can take it off their hands.

Comment

Last weekend my buddy Robbie and I set out to begin closing in the Saloon. It was just the two of us, and we only had a day and half to work on it, so we did as much as we could.

On Saturday we had to weld in another cross support at the front where the wall would be erected. After that we started working to get 1/2 of the inside floor done, that way we would have a place to stand inside the building while we created the front wall. The plan for the floor is to have 3 layers. The first layer will be a aluminum panel that is clad with Plastic. These are what we call Valero Panels because they are the panels above the gas pumps from Valero stations. When circle k bought the stores they changed out the blue/yellow Valero signage to the Red Circle K signage. my buddy Andy saw them doing it and asked if we could take the old panels off their hands. It has come in handy out at the ranch for many projects, but by for the best use is to pest proof the bottom of the cabin and Saloon. The second layer will be 1/2" plywood. The final layer will be 1" thick cedar boards that we get free from a mill in San Antonio. They are cut offs from larges beams that the mill makes, the thickness can vary a bit from board to board, but since I want this Saloon to feel old the not smooth floor will look old timey. I also plan to distress the wood with Hammers and chains to make it feel Old. Pictures 1-3 show the flooring install (layers 1 &2 only)

After getting the first 8' of floor done we started making the outer wall. This wall will be made out of wood 2x4 studs. we framed out the walls with two windows and a door. Pictures 3&4

On Sunday we added a few more boards to the wall frame and then started to clad the outside with plywood. This will will get Tyvec on the outside of it then I will use the same 1" thick boards that I plan to use for flooring on the outside in a board and batten fashion.

Picture 5 is the view of the front wall taken from the Deck on the East side of the Cabin.

Picture 6 in the view inside the Saloon out towards the cabin.

Picture 7 is the wide angle view from the driveway in of the cabin, fire pit area that is in between them and the Saloon.

Once everything is complete I will use crushed granite to make nice walkways between the two buildings.

I hope to get back out in two weeks to finish the inside floor with plywood and tyveck the outside, install the two widows and custom make a door.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Man, you are spending lots of time and money just to have a place to drink. That front porch would have worked just fine for me. Amazing work. You have built a really cool place in some pretty rugged country.

Comment

Originally posted by wlee15 View Post
                        The PEX has worked out great! not one single issues with it. when I re-plumbed with PEX I also installed many drain points to winterize the lines so there is no water in them. Last freeze I had only one issue. The RV toilet has a valve on the back where the water goes into the bowl (the trigger valve) It doesn't drain with just gravity, so there was water in it and it broke again. BUT it is inexpensive and easy to change out. BUT I do have a plan to now that I think will prevent that in the future. My plan is to open the valve and send Air back down the pipe clearing the line enough to prevent it from having sufficient water to freeze and break it.

For the Free materials go back through the thread, I believe I outlined how I got it all. Basically its all about not being afraid to just ask if I can take it off their hands.
                        Thanks for the info about pex, may be on the list to work on replacing. I will have to keep an eye out for materials as I drive through town and ask.

Looks great, enjoy seeing the progress.

Comment

Last weekend I went out to the ranch alone. The goal was to get the Saloon front wall dried in, using Tyvek and install the 2 front windows. interestingly enough these windows were the first thing I purchased for the main cabin build 6 years ago. I bought 3 windows on craigslist for $15 bucks a piece. These are OLD single pane windows with metal frames. I ended up getting much better brand new double pain windows for the cabin as posted earlier. So I just kept the 3 windows for the Saloon project.

I had to buy new Tyveck from Lowes, this time instead of buying the larger single sheet I just bought 100' of the 3' rolls. It was much easier to handle by myself, something I learned the hard way when I installed the large roll by myself on the cabin (that was a cluster F***) I got the Tyveck installed pretty easily (pic 1)

Next I installed the Windows (pics 2-3), and Finally I taped the seams to keep them from catching wind and pulling the staples out. (pics 5&6)

This week we are going to pick up the free wood I will use for the flooring and front walls, and If I have enough I will skin as much of the interior with it as a can. We also have to get more plywood to finish the flooring. I plan to deliver, stack and begin the floor and front on the weekend.

Things are moving forward pretty quickly.
                          Attached Files

Comment

This Past weekend I went to the ranch to try to get the roof above the deck installed and finish the flooring underlayment. Unfortunately I was alone so I wondered if I could get it done.

I want the Saloon itself to look as much like an old Saloon so I am building the façade out of wood, so the roof is made of wood. I went to Lowes on Friday and gathered all the materials and drove out Friday night. Luckily when I got to the ranch a new neighbor named Chad ran into me coming in. As we talked he asked what I was building with all the wood. I told him and I ask how the heck I was going to do that by myself. I said I have no idea, but at least I could have the framing done so the next time I go out with help we could get it up easy. He followed me to my cabin and we had a few beers together. He offered to swing by after he hunts Saturday morning.

Saturday morning I woke up early, unloaded the truck and started getting the materials setup for the build. I was very foggy that morning, so Chad's hunt was a washout (he couldn't see the feeder from the blind) He showed up at my place around 9AM. We got the 2x6 framing built on the ground, and then hoisted it up. I used LAG bolts to attached the Framing to the Saloon wall into the studs I placed for this. I built the framing in two 10' X 4' sections so it would be easier to lift up. I placed 2 4x4 posts on each section for support. After we got the first section up we lifted and installed the second section. We got the entire roof framing up before noon. I am not placing the tin panels on top until after I install the siding and SALOON sign above the roofline. (Pics 1-4)

Thanks to Chad I was able to get the roof installed, after that I told him how much I appreciated his help and he went back to his place.

Saturday afternoon I began to tackle getting the floor plywood installed. First installed the "Valero Panel" then place the last 8'X20' (5 sheets of plywood) section. (Pics 5-6)

I was beat after that, So I decided to call it a day early (4PM), I would finish screwing it all down and buttoning it all up Sunday.

Saturday late afternoon I was greeting by Franko the Fox. Franko is the name I gave this grey fox who comes and visits me every time I am here for the last 6 months. I sits and waits for me to throw him food. He is very cute and is safe from getting shot because he keeps me company when I am out here alone. When I first noticed that he came he would not come very close to the cabin, but now he will come within 10 yards of me when I throw him food. (Pic 7)

Sunday morning I woke up early and enjoyed coffee on the deck, while out there fog rolled in the valley offering me a cool view. (pics 8-9)

After coffee I screwed down the plywood and used foam to fill in the airgaps on the R-Panel on the bottom side (I will fill in all the gaps as I begin the finish-out) Pic 10
                            Attached Files

Comment

Incredible place you are building . . .

Comment

Excellent progress

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Working...
                                X