Vent hood refresh

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vent hood refresh

So we started a kitchen project with the intent to replace our microwave with a real vent hood. We gave up a double oven for a oven microwave combo.

First pic is of the old setup. Wife could barely reach the microwave and sure couldn't see inside....not to mention the vent just recirculated air inside the house!

Only demo issues was having to remove a cut half row of tile and replace with 2 full rows to get the height we wanted. Luckily we had plenty leftover from the original backsplash.

Next built a box out of 3/4 MDF. We have vaulted ceilings so I just built it flush where the vault begins. This looked good and didn't have to contend with the stinking beam on the ceiling!

Comment

I didn't get any pictures of the vent hole but got luck there was a roof vent right above the space so I hijacked that and ran about 8 feet of 6 inch aluminum duct (the stuff from HD is pretty crappy but made it work). I had bought materials to run a longer run to a soffit vent but this worked out well and I didn't have to cut a hole in the ceiling.

Next up was install the vent. Definitely a two person job (a bit awkward with the weight above your head). The motor unit basically temporarily snaps into the larger insert and has a removable hatch for access to clean filter and change light bulbs.

Comment

Final step was trim and paint. All trim came from home depot and ties into our existing cabinet doors.

Here is the vent hood we went with from Amazon. Overall it is decent. Not stainless but works without too much noise.

Still need to finish painting cabinet doors but like how it turned out!

Comment

Good work there!

Comment

Well done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Dang that turned out great. Nice work

Comment

Very nice, looks good!

Comment

Caulk, wood filler, and paint can cover up a lot of little mistakes....
                  Originally posted by kruppa24 View Post
                  Dang that turned out great. Nice work

Comment

I have one in my home it was there before me. Its SS commercial brand works great two blower .. HOWEVER some numb nuts must have been 5 foot tall as I whack my head on the edge of it all the time.. I plan to remove the silly cabinets over top and move it up.. They are the best though I would not want a home with out a true vent

Comment

Working...
                    X