Nerf Bars/Bed Liner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nerf Bars/Bed Liner

Okay, I posed this question in the previous thread about my new truck, but I'm thinking everyone was so awestruck by the pics that nobody saw the question. Just kidding, but here goes. The truck is too tall for my lady, and almost too tall for me unless I add nerf bars, but I'm not willing to spend the money to buy the commercially available ones because I have had a few problems with them in the past, plus, I like building stuff. I'm going to build a set and want to coat them with bedliner material for texture. If I have to, I'll have it done in a shop, but would rather get one of the kits from Herculiner or one of the other makers. Does anybody have any experience with the DIY bedliner material? Which lasts the longest, which has the best grip, especially when wet, etc. What say you? I already have a rough idea for the design, but need to know what brand of bedliner you recommend. I'm thinking I can build the bars for around 50 bucks, plus about 30 or so for the coating.

I don't think the DIY liner will last on nurf bars. It also tends to fade to a clalky gray quick. I would go with a commercial grade liner like gatorliner. Gator has more shine than a lot of the others.

As far as the bars, I think you will be way higher than $50 unless you are using scrap or drill stem. The pipe bending will be you next big problem, or would for me. Not many DIYs have a pipe press big enough to handle 3" pipe.

Comment

I use a special liner that I spray on. The ones that you buy and have to roll on don't last as long in my opinion. Almost every brand that I have seen will fade in the sun and possibly change colors. I know that I haven't answered your question, but it really can't be answered, you just have to try a few and see how that brand will work in the application that your wanting to apply it.

Comment

I have used two different kinds of spray on liner, both reputed to be the best on different off road sites. Neither was to my satisfaction or even close. I think you should have it professionally done. They make it in colors to match your truck now. That would look good. Friends tell me Rhino Liner is the best. Good luck.

Comment

Thanks guys, looks like I'll have to pay someone to do that part of it. As far as cost is concerned, I have a source to get the metal cheap and there will be no bends. The basic design is a square tube bar running from wheel well to wheel well, and two "arms" coming off of it and over to the frame. I like squared/angled edges better than the round pipe ones, plus I can make it look similar to the bumpers which have no visible round pipe on them except for the headlight guards on the front bumper.

Comment

bed liner

I used to work at a truck acc. shop and I can tell you that there is not a DIY bedliner that will stay on and look good. I used to charge a bundle to guys that did i themselves and then brought it to me to redo. It took hours just to get the old stuff off. I would just bite the bullet and get someone to do it. it is alot more expensive but you will end up doing it anyways so save yourself the aggrivation and money and just get someone to do it and get a warranty. Performance autosound is the only place around that carries "superliner". Superliner is the only brand out there that has a lifetime warranty against fading and tearing. Carl will do a good job.

Comment

Working...
            X