Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

Converted Storage Building to Man Cave

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Converted Storage Building to Man Cave

I enjoy all the projects people put in the DIY section so I thought I would share a recent project of mine. I built a 16 × 24 wood frame storage building about 5 years ago with hopes that I could one day convert it into a place to hang out, watch some ball games, and drink a few beer. For the past 5 years I have watched that building fill with all of our junk. Old furniture, tools, Christmas decorations, anything we didn't have a place for was packed in there. A few months ago, after barely being able to open the door from all the junk, I decided to get rid of some things and start on my man cave. It took a while but I finally found a place for everything I wanted to keep, sold a bunch of things, and threw away the rest. I was left with a bare bones, studs showing, empty canvas. I do not have any pictures of the first few weeks of work but it was mainly wiring (for electrical, internet, and sound system), and insulating everything. I needed a place to store some left over junk so my next step was to build,floor, and finish out a loft.

After completing the loft I got to work on siding and wainscot. For the siding I used left over Engelmann Spruce logs from our house build that I cut into 1/2" siding. For the wainscotting I went with rusty tin.

Next came the ceiling.

My next step was to do something about the dirty floor. I sanded, and then stained the concrete floor.

I decided to sheetrock the sitting area where the tv would go, so next up was sheetrock. My first, and last, time ever dealing with sheetrock.

I wanted the tv area to be dark so I went with Bachelor Pad Gray. Of course I had to go ahead and hang the tv too.

After a lot of trim work I started moving some things in, but something was missing. I decided I needed a bar. I made the bar from wooden pallets, old tin, and a couple of cedar slabs. My son helped me finish out the top.

The rest of the work was just moving things in and cleaning up. I still have a few small things left to do but I am pretty happy with how it all turned out considering this is my first attempt at any kind of carpentry work. Here it is now.

You did a great job. Looks awesome.

Comment

Awesome set up

Comment

Sweet set up

Comment

Top notch sir...congrats!

Comment

Pretty solid work. What did you use to sand the concrete before you stained it?

Comment

Looks like a cool place to hang out...

Comment

Man that's awesome.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Comment

You did a terrific job. Looks great but... your tv is waaay too small. That wall is begging for a 110" (or bigger) screen.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by krisw View Post
                    Pretty solid work. What did you use to sand the concrete before you stained it?
                    I rented a heavy duty floor buffer.

Comment

Looks terrific! I will bet a good bit of money you will be tv shopping soon[emoji12]

Comment

Looks awesome

Comment

Nicely done

Comment

Very nice!!

Comment

Nice work! Some impressive mounts, btw!

Comment

Working...
                              X