Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JES View Post
    Rind on or off? That's a good price.
    Rind off at Costco. And they are individually packaged, so you can buy 1 or 10. I have bought it for $1.99 at a Mexican meat market with Rind on and made chicharrons with the trimmings.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by BrandonH View Post
      Rind off at Costco. And they are individually packaged, so you can buy 1 or 10. I have bought it for $1.99 at a Mexican meat market with Rind on and made chicharrons with the trimmings.

This small batch was like that, rind on, they were delicious.

Comment

Looking good

Comment

That looks dang good!

Comment

Cut a big old steak out of that, yum.

Comment

Looking good. What wood are you smoking with? After trying a couple different types I settled on a mix of apple & hickory which was perfect.

Comment

I used pecan.

Comment

I made 2 slabs the other day for the first time. I used the tender quick and it came out a little salty. I smoked mine with mesquite and only for like an hour. These were bellies off of a pig we raised. Cant wait for the other pig to get a little bigger.

Comment

Originally posted by yanta61 View Post
                    I made 2 slabs the other day for the first time. I used the tender quick and it came out a little salty. I smoked mine with mesquite and only for like an hour. These were bellies off of a pig we raised. Cant wait for the other pig to get a little bigger.
                    Did you rinse it off before you smoked it? I rinsed these and let them soak some as well, it can be too salty if you don't rinse or soak it, fry test strip before you smoke.

Comment

Originally posted by yanta61 View Post
                      Once the cure process is complete rinse the bellies off under cold water and fry up a small piece. If too salty soak in ice water for 30 minutes to an hour and test fry again. Repeat until you have the right salt content.

Comment

This is cool! Probably a dumb question but how do you slice the finished product so all the pieces are a even thickness?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by JES View Post
                          Did you rinse it off before you smoked it? I rinsed these and let them soak some as well, it can be too salty if you don't rinse or soak it, fry test strip before you smoke.
                          Originally posted by BrandonH View Post
                          Once the cure process is complete rinse the bellies off under cold water and fry up a small piece. If too salty soak in ice water for 30 minutes to an hour and test fry again. Repeat until you have the right salt content.

Yes... I washed it really good and let it soak for about an hr. Seems like the parts that are mostly fat are salty and the rest with more meat are ok. i'll just save the salty piece for a pot of beans...

I will have to try the taste test next time....thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Outdoor Legacy View Post
                            This is cool! Probably a dumb question but how do you slice the finished product so all the pieces are a even thickness?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
                            I use a small meat slicer. Tried doing it by hand and I will never do that again.

Comment

Slicing and packaging this morning.

Comment

definitely trying this way out. Y'all ever do this with wild hog?

Comment

Working...
                                X