4x6 trailer blind build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

4x6 trailer blind build

I'm getting on a place in Sonora this year and I'm wanting to build a blind that I can move around easily.
    I already have a donor trailer that was an old pop up frame. The blind is going to be 4x6 and the floor height is going to be about 5-1/2 foot off the ground. It's going to be completely framed out of metal and I'd like to sheet it all in maybe galvanized sheet metal. I'd like to keep it light as possible.
    The plan is to have the base of the blind hinged on on side so the blind can be laid on its side during transport to the lease. Once it's at the location it can be pivoted up an pinned vertically in place. The whole trailer blind will be loaded on to a flat bed trailer to get to the lease.

Here's a drawing of the idea and the trailer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Subscribed...I love these kind of projects. Design should work but be forewarned that blinds built on these type of trailer frames aren't usually as sturdy and will sway quite a bit on windy days. Might make a steady rest or draw challenging.

Comment

Originally posted by RascalArms View Post
      Subscribed...I love these kind of projects. Design should work but be forewarned that blinds built on these type of trailer frames aren't usually as sturdy and will sway quite a bit on windy days. Might make a steady rest or draw challenging.

Good point. I'll be sure to add plenty of cross bracing. I'll also be adding jacks that can either be pinned in place or cranked down to help stabilize it.

Comment

Originally posted by Ca$ey View Post
        Good point. I'll be sure to add plenty of cross bracing. I'll also be adding jacks that can either be pinned in place or cranked down to help stabilize it.
        Good idea...I was gonna suggest building outriggers of sorts.

Comment

Made a little progress this evening with the main part of the stand.

Comment

Nice setup

Sounds like a good idea, but isn't that square tubing pretty dang heavy ?

I am thinking about doing something similar, but it will be a mobile/portable bathroom : shower, toilet, maybe a sink... We have a small travel trailer with one of these mini toilet and shower that no one uses, well except the toilet part.

I was looking at remolding a popup trailer, well gutting it, and using the C channel studs to keep it light. Still drawing up the plans for the water tanks and propane water heater. It looks good on paper, just not sure once I start building it. Also thought about towing it on another trailer, so I would have to register and/or title it, so now it's just figuring out total height with tanks at the bottom.

Comment

Originally posted by Tx-Burt View Post
              Sounds like a good idea, but isn't that square tubing pretty dang heavy ?

I am thinking about doing something similar, but it will be a mobile/portable bathroom : shower, toilet, maybe a sink... We have a small travel trailer with one of these mini toilet and shower that no one uses, well except the toilet part.

I was looking at remolding a popup trailer, well gutting it, and using the C channel studs to keep it light. Still drawing up the plans for the water tanks and propane water heater. It looks good on paper, just not sure once I start building it. Also thought about towing it on another trailer, so I would have to register and/or title it, so now it's just figuring out total height with tanks at the bottom.

It's definitely not light but it's not too bad. It is 2"- .125 wall. Only the the stand and the floor frame will be made out of the 2". I figured it to only add just over 230 pounds to the build. The frame work for the box will be 1" light tubing so hopefully I can still keep it fairly light. Right now how it sits with the stand built, I can easily maneuver it around my driveway by hand.

Comment

I got the floor framed out. That's it for tonight.

Comment

Gonna be nice.

Comment

Didnt get a whole lot done tonight but I did get the floor mounted.

Comment

Coming along!

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

Comment

In

Comment

In for build

Comment

Few steps ahead tonight. I made up some pins for securing the blind to the stand and I got the stairs built. They will need to be removable so I'll do some figuring on how I'm going to accomplish that tomorrow.

Comment

That sucker is going to be stout, i like it.

Comment

Working...
                              X