No announcement yet.

AFCI/GFCI breakers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GFCI and AFCI are suppose to save lives. As a service electrician, the sure can make my blood pressure go up!

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
      AFCI breakers are made to go in the bottom of the trash can.
      Lol. I agree. But someone made some money somewhere and sold them.

Comment

Originally posted by coho53 View Post
        if you plug the vac in or unplug with it with it on or any other appliance they will trip almost every time it draws an arch

Or touch the light switch while in sock feet in wintertime.

Also if you don't want your garage fridge on GFCI, take the GFCI plug out and reverse the line side and load side, then the rest of the plugs on that circuit will not be GFCI protected. It's not to code and it may not be a good idea to some, but it works.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Also if you don't want your garage fridge on GFCI, take the GFCI plug out and reverse the line side and load side, then the rest of the plugs on that circuit will not be GFCI protected. It's not to code and it may not be a good idea to some, but it works.

That won't work. If you reverse the line and load wires, you won't be able to reset the GFCI. Some of the older ones could be wired backwards, but this was changed due to the situation you mentioned. Now, if it is wired backwards you know there's a problem.

Comment

The better way to do that Dale is to replace the offending GFCI in the garage and make it a single receptacle and change any downstream devices as necessary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by WTucker View Post
              Scott, also check for loose wire nuts in the boxes and even the light fixtures if you dont find any issues in the boxes. It could also be a bad connection on a receptacle.
              The only things on that breaker are two vanity lights, 3 can lights, and 3 receptacles. If I have to go into the attic to check wire connections I might die. But, I do know that I installed 2 of the receptacles at the same time I switched out the breakers. So I am thinking that maybe its something in the receptacles.

Thanks for all of the input. I'll try to get to the bottom of this on the weekend.

Comment

I had issues with an AFCI breaker tripping. I tracked the wiring on the circuit and found one of the screws to the breaker box cover had chafed the wiring coming out of the breaker box causing it to trip.

Comment

Good luck finding the problem- it's very difficult to find- it could be the wire is stapled too tight behind the wall somewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by scott1022 View Post
                    First off, I'm having a hard time understanding the functional difference between these two breakers...but that is not my main question.

I installed GFCI breakers in order to pass inspection. Everything worked fine. Inspector said that I needed to install AFCI instead of GFCI. So I switched them out. Now that I have AFCI installed I have two breakers (out of four) that are randomly tripping. I go to turn on the lights and nothing comes on. I go outside and the breaker is tripped. I say random because sometimes I turn on the lights and everything is fine. No issues. One actually tripped over night when nothing was in use.

Any ideas on an issue I may have...besides the fact that they require a $45 breaker that trips when you look at it the wrong way.
                    I guess the reason for you needing an inspection is because you are selling?
                    If so, when was the house built?
                    Arc fault is not required for homes that were built before 2002.

Comment

Once you pass your inspection, take em all out and store em. Put regular grounded plugs back in. Need em by your sinks but elsewhere, they are a PIA. As stated above, DO NOT have your fridge or freezer plugged in to one! Good luck!

Comment

AFCI breakers are cr*+, and not trying to hijack this thread but it is smart to always put your fridge(s) and freezer(s) on a designated line. Not a circuit. That way when your microwave or whatever trips the breaker it doesn't knock out the fridge/freezer.

Comment

Working...
                        X