No announcement yet.

Bleaching your own skulls.........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I know this is an old post, but while searching for some info this popped and it was good

Comment

I boil mine--and once I've got all the soft tissue off, start with the 40% peroxide. You can get 50% but need a beautician's license to buy it according to the local supply place, so I just use the 40 stuff. Use a 1" foam paint brush to apply to the skull bones and set it in the sun. Reapply for 2-3 days and it's done.
      Last edited by dustoffer; 11-05-2014, 11:00 AM.

Comment

gig em

Comment

Originally posted by dustoffer View Post
          I boil mine--and once I've got all the soft tissue off, start with the 40% peroxide. You can get 50% but need a beautician's license to buy it according to the local supply place, so I just use the 40 stuff. Use a 1" foam paint brush to apply to the skull bones and set it in the sun. Reapply for 2-3 days and it's done.

^^^this works well

Mix the 2 into a liquid paste & apply

Comment

I've had good luck boiling mine and then pressure washing any thing left after the boil. On this one I wasn't able to get any of the heavy duty peroxide so I just tried regular old peroxide in the brown bottle. Worked just as well. I just brushed it on the skull about 10 times. Never soaked it. I think it turned out pretty good. My daughter liked it and made me hang it in her room

Comment

I've got a question for the guys that do a lot of skulls. What degreasing method do y'all use? I've tried fish tank heaters but they don't seem to get the water hot enough. I'm starting to do a bigger volume of skulls and need an easy method especially for hogs.

Comment

Most just use dawn dish soap and water mixture over some sort of fryer burner. Dont boil it, but just have it hot enough that its almost a boil. That works for me as well.

My question is, what do yall do to get the black off the teeth...or whats easiest? Just use a bunch of the peroxide mixture?

Comment

I do my own as well.
                  I like to make a paste then wrap with soaked papertowl to keep it moist.
                  Lady at sallys told me when the paste drys it stops working? I don't know if that is true or not, but 24hours wrapped and mine turn out fine.
                  I have also used a little dish soap in the boil and that seems to work as well.
                  I also try to change the water halfway through, I think the fresh water helps a little.
                  I really like the bobcat in previous posts - I want to try that next.
                  If anyone has wood scraps in Tomball and wants to git rid of them, I am really starting to like the rough cut wood for a plaque.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Thoe look nice!

Comment

Good info

Comment

Following for future use. Thanks for the post

Comment

Originally posted by bowhuntertex View Post
                          may have to give the vaseline trick a try.....sure would be easier than using plastic bags......
                          You can wash the vaseline off with hot water too--although wife might think it a bit strange to see you in the shower with the rack.

Comment

Good info

Comment

I use DAP Seal 'n Peel around the bases to help protect them.

Comment

Awesome man. Thanks

Comment

Working...
                                X